Google-related websites and OS X 10.4.11

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new. I hope this is the right forum for my question.

First, here's my machine:
iBook PowerPC G4 933 MHz
1.12 GB DDR SDRAM (I expanded it some time ago)
OS X 10.4.11

I usually use Firefox as a browser. A few days ago, I noticed that whenever I tried to load my homepage—www.google.it—, instead of the usual search page Google gave me a page telling me to "Get a fast, free web browser": Chrome. Not a message in a corner: I get a page "forcing" me to get Chrome (or update Firefox, I guess) instead of the usual search page. There's no text field and I can't perform searches.

The same goes for Youtube: the website loads, but videos don't work and of course I can't log in. I also can't log into my Gmail account.

I tried TenFourFox but it's the same. Any page (google.something, something.google.com) gives me a blank, or no page at all, or the page asking me to download Chrome.

All of this overnight.

Then I thught I still hadn't tried Safari (I never use it). It worked! I could load the Google homepage, enter my Gmail and use Youtube.

Then I guess Google realized I could get into my account after all... so today Safari was blocked in the same way.

Clearly it's not a matter of compatibility, but of policy.

At the moment, the only thing that comes to mind is that I might create a partition for a Linux distribution such as Lubuntu. I've already tried it live (from cd, without installing) on my iBook G4 and, despite hardware problems, Firefox indeed works fine.

I was wondering:

1) I've been looking for threads about this over the internet. Nothing. Am I the only person left with a PowerPC Mac who can't update Firefox or Safari, or run Chrome?

2) Is this only happening to me? I doubt it. I live in Italy. It might be relevant, considering that, as I've said, it's not a matter of compatibility but, I suppose, of policy: as long as Google didn't get wise to my accessing Google, Gmail and Youtube through Safari, these worked fine.

3) Is this a virus? Most unlikely, right?

Is there no-one else out there with a PPC machine? Do you simply do without Google and Youtube? Are there any workarounds on OS X 10.4.11 or should I indeed create a partition for Linux?

I still suspect I'm overlooking something stupid. It seems unlikely something like this should happen. Wouldn't the internet be flooded with messages from people saying the same thing?

I'll be grateful to any one who can help me or at least throw some light on this.

bgriffinn

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No problem with Google here in the US or with Chrome. The fact that you have an older iBook still running Tiger shouldn't make a difference. The latest versions of Chrome will not run on your iBook but I believe you can download an older version. And no, you don't have a virus.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The latest versions of Chrome will not run on your iBook but I believe you can download an older version.
Chrome has only ever been Intel only which Google ought to try and at least warn users about.

Google's web products are fairly intensive and they generally need modern browsers to run properly. For example, Drive supports, "the two most recent versions" of the major browsers (source). I imagine that such a requirement is universal across their products and while it might work with older versions, you might be pushing your luck.

OP
B
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there's no Chrome for PPC, official or not. It seems strange that I should be the only one experiencing this, or the only one complaining. My iBook is very old, but other PPC machines aren't that old. Until a few days ago, I was barely aware other search engines still existed... (not to mention Youtube and Gmail—I suppose I could download my mail with a client, though).

Thanks for your help. I hope someone will surprise me yet, though. Right now, making a partition for Linux seems the only option, and not one I'm crazy about.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My iBook is very old, but other PPC machines aren't that old.
In the computer world, they're ancient. Apple stopped shipping them nearly 8 years ago which is a lifetime in the technology world. The lack of support is inevitable and it only going to get worse over time.

Linux is a decent solution since it's flexible (can run reasonably well on older hardware) and still supports the PPC architecture. While it's not optimal, using that hardware for a longer period of time might require this kind of flexibility.

C

chas_m

the fact that you had initial success and then suddenly got redirected again makes me wonder if this isn't some malware (not a virus) or ISP redirect (oooh those are annoying). Might try clearing your caches or resetting the browser and see if that fixes things (tenfourfox, for example, should work).

Mind you -- Flash isn't going to work, Java isn't going to work, any sites with video may or may not work, etc incompatibility with old equipment etc ... bottom line: it's time for you to get a new(er) computer unless you enjoy aggravation.

OP
B
Reaction score
Might try clearing your caches or resetting the browser and see if that fixes things (tenfourfox, for example, should work).

Thanks. Actually, Google comes and goes. I don't know what does it: deleting the cache or disconnecting the ADSL for a moment. My impression is that as soon as Google "realizes" what machine I have it blocks me. It's not that my browsers can't handle the content, it's just that Google wants me to buy a new computer. I agree, for that matter.

bgriffinn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well bgriffinn ask Google to chip in eh?

C

chas_m

Google has zero interest in you buying a new computer (unless, I suppose, you're dead set on buying a Chromebook -- and even then, Asus makes all the money there). But they do have a strong interest in using the latest web technologies, so the minute you hit a page with Flash, Java, or any other technology your old machine can't handle, game over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.