App like TextEdit that automatically synchs

Reaction score
I use TextEdit many, many times throughout my day, opening and closing it constantly as ideas/to-dos pop up. I use it specifically because it opens and closes instantaneously (much faster than Word or Evernote). I only use:

-Bold text
-Tabbing
-Bulleted lists

However TextEdit does not synch to my iPhone.

Is there an app that exists that will perform the above three functions, open instantaneously, and automatically synch to my devices?

I currently use TextEdit and then at the end of every day upload my .txt files to DropBox. Occasionally the format doesn't convert correctly so I save as a PDF and upload to DropBox, but all of this takes time and I'd love for my lists to synch automatically without me having to do anything but Cmd-S.

Any ideas?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The notes app is designed for this job specifically (well, maybe not specifically but pretty close). It doesn't have the option to have bulleted lists but it does meet all of your other criteria.

C

chas_m

No. You're thinking of To-Dos, which was once incorporated into Mail (it has since, in more recent versions of OS X, evolved into Notes and Reminders, two standalone and iCloud-synced apps).

There's also Simplenote, which I use as an alternative to Notes. It uses its own sync engine but otherwise works the same as Notes. It doesn't do bulleted lists either, but I suspect there is some other third-party option that will do what you want across OS X and iOS.

Reaction score
Does Evernote run on IOS? Maybe he could use that.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm running OS X 10.6.8. Simplenote requires 10.8. I can't find Notes anywhere as a stand-alone app within my Mac either, maybe that requires 10.8 as well?

Thank you guys for the help, I'll grab 10.8 and see what I can find.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes, Notes only shipped with 10.8.

You're using a fairly old version of OS X which is going to limit your options. You could stick to using the web based version of something like SimpleNote or Evernote which would let you get around the incompatibility problem.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Evernote was my app of choice with 10.6.

Even quitting Evernote and waiting the couple of seconds it takes to open has got to be faster than manually uploading, changing formats, etc. And since you are using it multiple times a day - don't quit Evernote each time, just minimize it. No more waiting for it to open except once a day because it will minimize and maximize instantly. Don't remember experiencing it being a memory or CPU hog with 10.6.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.