Dropbox, Itunes, and bandwidth usage

Reaction score
Hello,

Yesterday I decided it was a good idea to put my iTunes folder into dropbox as well as my Iphoto library. Today I noticed that the Dropbox folder is still syncing (I do have enough space >100 G).

Now I am questioning my decision.... I have a some of questions.

1. If I am offline, will I be able to play music on my iTunes considering my entire folder is in the cloud?
2. I do have a relatively small bandwidth cap at home for my internet usage. Will having iTunes in the cloud and me playing media eat my bandwidth?
3. A little bit unrelated but I also created and alias for my documents folder and moved it into dropbox... is there any disadvantages in using an alias over symbolic links?

Thanks for the help... sorry if the first question is dumb :/

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
1. If I am offline, will I be able to play music on my iTunes considering my entire folder is in the cloud?
Yes, the files are still on your computer.
2. I do have a relatively small bandwidth cap at home for my internet usage. Will having iTunes in the cloud and me playing media eat my bandwidth?
Only if changes are made to the files. The only time data is sent is if something changes.
3. A little bit unrelated but I also created and alias for my documents folder and moved it into dropbox... is there any disadvantages in using an alias over symbolic links?
They are effectively the same thing.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes, the files are still on your computer.
Only if changes are made to the files. The only time data is sent is if something changes.
They are effectively the same thing.

I guess I am still grey about how dropbox works. I thought that when I move a file to dropbox it transfers the whole file to the dropbox servers and effectively removes it from my computer. From there I just access it in the cloud.

Can you please explain how the files are still on the computer (and how I am able to view stuff offline) if I am putting them in the cloud?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I guess I am still grey about how dropbox works. I thought that when I move a file to dropbox it transfers the whole file to the dropbox servers and effectively removes it from my computer. From there I just access it in the cloud.

Can you please explain how the files are still on the computer (and how I am able to view stuff offline) if I am putting them in the cloud?

Hello - placing your files into Dropbox simply makes copies there that will sync w/ your other devices to share the files (your prolonged syncing may be related to the latter situation - don't know?).

Thus, in a way your iTunes files are being 'backed up' to the cloud but not removed from your computer. The other question you may want to answer is whether you need more room on your computer for non-musical items - if so, there are ways to move your 'iTunes library' to another site, such as an external HD. Dave :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The Dropbox tour might be of help here in understanding what it does.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hello - placing your files into Dropbox simply makes copies there that will sync w/ your other devices to share the files (your prolonged syncing may be related to the latter situation - don't know?).

Thus, in a way your iTunes files are being 'backed up' to the cloud but not removed from your computer. The other question you may want to answer is whether you need more room on your computer for non-musical items - if so, there are ways to move your 'iTunes library' to another site, such as an external HD. Dave :)

Dropbox syncs your folders/files. You have a "Dropbox" folder on your machine, and that gets "copied" to the cloud. You can then "add" your account to any other pc, tablet, and/or smartphone and they will sync to that device as well. While you are offline, the files still reside on your computer and also on the "cloud", and any other device that has been synced to that account. If you change, move, or delete a file in your dropbox folder, the next time you are online and signed into dropbox, it will update any changes you made. This goes for any device you have synced with your Dropbox account.

I lost a few files the first time I used Dropbox, not understanding how it worked. I deleted them from one machine and when I went to my main machine, it wasn't there either. I am usually always connected to Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, and OneDrive, so I have to be aware when working in those folders.

Thanks for the reply guys. So effectively what is happening is that there is a "Dropbox folder" that is saved in my finder... And every time I am connected to the web this folder syncs with the cloud?

What about mobile apps. I have my phone connected to my dropbox account. Surely there is no dropbox folder on my phone (not the app I mean saved to the hard drive).... with the App I take it you cannot view dropbox files offline? Any idea on how much data the app uses when accessing files from the cloud?

The Dropbox tour might be of help here in understanding what it does.

Thank for the link the tour does not really explain if dropbox exists purely in the cloud or on your machine and in the cloud.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simply put, on the computer you have a folder that is synced with the cloud. On your mobile device, you simply see what is available on your account and you download files as needed.

OP
R
Reaction score
Simply put, on the computer you have a folder that is synced with the cloud. On your mobile device, you simply see what is available on your account and you download files as needed.

Thanks,

Hopefully the mobile app doesn't eat away too much data.

M

MacInWin

Thank for the link the tour does not really explain if dropbox exists purely in the cloud or on your machine and in the cloud.
That's because dropbox doesn't really "exist" as much as it provides a service. The service is that any file dropped in the dropbox is replicated to all other linked dropboxes as quickly as possible. And any deletions are deleted from all DBs the same way. So be careful with your iTunes library in the dropbox folder as ANY change on ANY device that is linked to it will replicate to ALL devices. On the iPhone the Dropbox app merely lets you see what's at Dropbox.com in your account and download to the iPhone what you need. But you CAN delete from the iPhone, so the same caution applies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.