Late 2011 MB Pros, Black screen and cursor, no login

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, iPhone & div.
Hi,

This morning I opened my "LATE 2012" MB pro from overnight sleep to a black screen and the cursor, pressing any buttons results in the "thud" chime. The Volume and Brightness buttons work.

I googled the problem but found only info regarding the MBA from a few years ago. I shut the MB down, waited and turned it back on. Starts up fine then same black screen instead of login window.

I restarted again this time in Disk utilities mode, the HD is ok according to that. So now I'm reinstalling Mavericks in hope of a fix. But it says it will take 19 hours.

I haven't done the latest update yet if that helps.

Is there anything I can do? That's faster than reinstalling?

Thanks

Edit: I don't have a back up for this HD. Is there a way to copy two folders from my desktop to a USB stick?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not sure this will fix the problem but applying the combo update would probably be faster than re-installing.

As far as copying the two folders from the desktop to a stick. You should be able to insert the stick, and drag the folders to the stick. If the roles don't copy do a Get Info on the stick to make sure it isn't formatted NTFS.

You may need to go to Finder Preferences>General and make sure external disks are checked to appear on the desktop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.