iTunes Smart Playlist

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a smart playlist which adds tracks via a rule. If I have a track which doesn't comply with the rule, but then go into that track's info pane and change the info so that it complies with the rule, would it then be expected to show in my smart playlist?
I tried this but it didn't show up.
Thanks for any help.

I have a 2013 Mac mini.
OSX and all software is latest and up to date.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think it should change assuming that the change made that track comply with the rule. First, I would check that the rule is set as you want it - especially if it depends on several criteria. Second, check that the change you made in the into pane matches the rule criteria exactly. If for example you add a comment to the info pane and it has a space at the end that space must be in the rule.

I haven't tested this yet so the following is a guess. The other thing to check is that some changes need to be made in the "Sorting" or "Options" panes in addition to the Info pane before iTunes uses it correctly in rules.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would guess you may need to restart iTunes.

I don't know - but, would doubt that rules would continue checking your entire library over and over again to find individual changes you're making. That could cause a runaway process using all the CPU cycles on your computer and a whole bunch of complaints about iTunes.

I just don't know how often iTunes applies existing rules - when it starts, only when new music is added, only when a rule is created, whenever a change in existing data is made, or some combination thereof.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Having made sure I have not made any sill errors such as spelling mistakes, I am beginning to think that iTunes only checks the rules when new tracks are added to the library. So altering an existing track has no effect.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
One other thing that I forgot yo mention last night. Make sure that "Live Updating" is checked in the Smart Playlist rule. Also make sure that the option to limit the result to a specific number of items is not checked.

I checked while writing this post, If you edit a track's tagging so that it matches a Smart Playlist rule, the playlist is updated without needing to restart iTunes. It does wait till you close the Info window and it applies the information change. I used an existing track so iTunes must apply the change when the info window closes and info for the track gets updated.

@OP are we sure that iTunes applied the track changes you made? If you look at the info for a track you changed is the new info there?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.