wireless printer problem

Reaction score
I have an HP officejet Pro premium 8600 printer which is being used wirelessly. This week suddenly, my macbook pro retina cannot find the printer. The printer is setup wirelessly, and shows that it has no problems. Plus, my wife's macbook air is seeing the printer and has no problems with it. I got it to work by going over the network through my wife's air, but that is not a solution. I have downloaded the HP software several times, and reinstalled, with no result. Can anyone suggest an answer?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What usually works when that happens is to completely uninstall the printer from System Preferences, Printers & Scanners, and go through the manufacturer's installation and wireless setup once more. If you have the latest driver from HP and their instructions, give that a try. Be sure to first attach the HP to your MacBook Pro by USB cable while going through the setup.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry to take so long, but life has been hectic lately. I did install the drivers while connected to the printer, and it worked fine until I unhooked the connection and then it was the same. So indication that my MBP could even sense the presence of the printer. Is there something I am not seeing here? It is kind of a pain to have no wireless printer capability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
First thing to try - reset printing system:
OS X Mavericks: Reset the printing system
Then re-attempt adding the printer.

If that doesn't work, then it's a more general networking error. Come back for more troubleshooting help.

OP
S
Reaction score
It worked like a charm. Once I reset, it found the printer and added right away. Works great now.

Thanks so much. I have not been able to print for months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
It worked like a charm. Once I reset, it found the printer and added right away.

That's the power of Macs!
Thanks for the feedback.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.