Burn a bootable ISO of UBUNTU for a PC on my MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Hi I have a bog standard MBP with Mavericks, I have a friend who lives 200 miles away with a slow and limited Internet connection.

He has asked me to Download a UBUNTU ISO file, which I have done, and burn it onto a CD for him.

I would like to ask the members here, the correct way to do this please.

I won't be able to test it to see if it is Bootable because I dont have a PC to try it out on.

Furthermore I dont know what Format the CD will have to be formatted to and I dont know what software I should be using to BURN it to a CD.

I am sure you chaps would know the answers to all my questions straightaway.

I dont want to let this friend down by posting him off a DUD disc !!!.

Tim

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I won't be able to test it to see if it is Bootable because I dont have a PC to try it out on.
You sure do have a PC - you've got an Intel board in that MBP so that Ubuntu disc will boot with no issue (installing might be a different issue but since you aren't installing it, no worries).

Take a look at this article.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
You sure do have a PC - you've got an Intel board in that MBP so that Ubuntu disc will boot with no issue (installing might be a different issue but since you aren't installing it, no worries).

Take a look at this article.

Wow thank you so much "van smith" that is just what I wanted, a well tried and tested solution to my question, thanks you so much I shall get on with very shortly :)

Later :- Hi "van smith", I am sorry to say that isn't readable by my MacBookPro, dam.
I burnt it twice following the logical instructions it also Verified correctly as well.

And then I found it couldn't be read by Finder and said it was un-readable !!

Tim

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
perhaps the trouble is the File I have downloaded ?, perhaps somebody could give me another, more reliable Link to download from :-
this is the link I was given :- Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu
and version he would like is :- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit

If anybody CAN help I will be very please, at least I CAN get it onto a DVD,, I first tried a 700mb CD but that was just a little bit to small in capacity !!!\\

I now have two DVD + R's which are no good at all !

Tim

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Ubuntu is, as you found out, too large for a CD.

You downloaded the right file, assuming you got the ISO. What is the exact error message that OS X gives you? If you try to open the disc in Finder, you should see a bunch of random files that make no sense (but are in fact the contents of the image properly prepared).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
First thing before burning the ISO is to check the md5sum of the downloaded file to verify the image integrity.

I like using BURN for OSX. Its a free simple burning software.. Go to Copy and just drag the disc image over to the dialog box and click burn.. Its that simple.

Also the Ubuntu documentation pages have full in depth instructions and pictures to help you ever step of the way from burning CDs to making a bootable USB and more. At least it was when I originally put that stuff up there..

I dont go over to Ubuntu forums anymore, all the kids have turned it into a idiots fest..

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Ubuntu is, as you found out, too large for a CD.

You downloaded the right file, assuming you got the ISO. What is the exact error message that OS X gives you? If you try to open the disc in Finder, you should see a bunch of random files that make no sense (but are in fact the contents of the image properly prepared).

Screenshot attached !

It doesnt get listed in Finder I am sorry to say.

Tim

Screenshot 2014-03-08 18.18.18.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do as Exodist suggested as check what is called the md5sum (instructions here). Essentially, the tool in question will print out a random string of characters that should be the same one that Ubuntu provides for the ISO file (they are listed here for each of the 12.04.4 images).

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
ah OK friend thanks I will give that a go.

LATER :- thanks friend, that helped enormously, the checksum was identical, back to the drawing board !!!!!

tim

Reaction score
The ISO may not be readable in Finder but should boot. Try booting from it. Restart and hold down C til it boots. Do not install.
Some *nix file systems cant be read by Finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As cradom mentioned it will allow you to boot I have done this with versions 11.04 to 13.10 .
32bit will run on anything but 64bit will only run on 64bit.
Apil 17th supposedly will be the release date for 14.04 LTS for those with newer computers.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
The ISO may not be readable in Finder but should boot. Try booting from it. Restart and hold down C til it boots. Do not install.
Some *nix file systems cant be read by Finder.

Hiya CRADOM absolutely fantastic, that BOOTED perfectly,Holding DOWN "C" thank you so much. you're a star, and both of the Disc's worked like that as well LOL.

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well timmy that is the way one boots from system discs holding down 'C'.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Well timmy that is the way one boots from system discs holding down 'C'.

Yeah, i've obviously STILL got a lot learn, using the best computer I have ever had :)

Thanks

Tim

Reaction score
I don't think OS X can read ext3. It can, however boot from it.
It can read ext2, the older filesystem. (and a few others)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You would need Paragon to read and write to ext3/4 from OSX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.