Router Suggestions

Reaction score
Hello and thank you! Where I live in Costa Rica internet access can be limited. I only have access to the internet through the cell phone tower signal. I have a guest house and must use a router to create WIFI for my guests. The more people who use the cell tower signal the slower it gets. It can be painfully slow or worse.

My question is: Can a better router improve my internet reception or make it faster? If so, which one?

Often a window comes up on my computer saying another device is using my IP address or network. I do not understand that because of course another device is doing that, I am using a router to provide internet for my guests. What does this mean?

I also wonder if the router is giving preference to some devices and not others. When I am online with my MacBook Air and a guest begins using their iPhone or Galaxy or Android, I immediately lose speed and sometimes lose connection altogether.

Please help! Any suggestions would be appreciated, including what kind of router to buy, if I need a new one. I now have an Intellinet N150 Wireless 3G Router. We do not yet have 4G but it will be here soon. Thanks again.
Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A newer router is probably not going to be much help or give a signal boost for your guests. The problem is that the signal you're receiving from the cell tower is limited and the more people who use WiFi in your guest house, winds up reducing the band width.

What you might try is using signal amplifiers or a better antenna for your router. Trying to find someone there in Costa Rica who can help you with your setup would probably be the best way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello and thank you! Where I live in Costa Rica internet access can be limited. I only have access to the internet through the cell phone tower signal. I have a guest house and must use a router to create WIFI for my guests. The more people who use the cell tower signal the slower it gets. It can be painfully slow or worse.

My question is: Can a better router improve my internet reception or make it faster? If so, which one?

Hi Lisa - welcome to the forum! :) I agree that a better antenna(s) and/or amplifier likely would provide a stronger signal but sharing w/ multiple users would probably be little affected.

Also, appears that your main (or only?) way to obtain an internet connection is through the air, i.e. cellular or satellite connection. You might want to explore a MiFi Router - these often come w/ monthly plans but some may be 'pay as you go'? Plus, I'm not sure which companies would be available in Costa Rica; however, may be worth a look - good luck. Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.