Dual monitors...

M

moosegoose

I have a 17'' Intel iMac and a very nice Samsung LCD that I used on my old computer. Is there any way that I can setup a dual monitor setup on my iMac? The other monitor supports DVI as well, but I see no connections on the back of my iMac for any other monitors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Apple said:
To connect an external display or projector:
1 Turn on the external display or projector.
2 Connect the adapter to the video port on the external display or projector.
3 Connect the mini-DVI end of the adapter to the mini-DVI video port on your iMac.

Important: To ensure that your iMac automatically detects the external display or
projector, plug the adapter into the external display or projector first.

4 Use the Displays Preferences to adjust the resolution on the display or projector.
You will need to but the Mini DVI to DVI adapter from Apple's website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Look in the box of your iMac. There should be a connector with a wierd shaped connector on one end and a DVI connector on the other.

Plug the end with the connector on it into the iMac, and the DVI connector into the LCD.

It should go fine from there. Just look under System Preferences-> Displays. Then click on "Detect Displays". It's pretty much self explanatory from there.

EDIT: My apologies, it appears the iMac doesn't ship with a Mini-DVI to DVI connector, as posted above, you'll have to buy one.

Kind of dissapointing...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
to_tough_to_die said:
Look in the box of your iMac. There should be a connector with a wierd shaped connector on one end and a DVI connector on the other.
They don't ship those anymore, you have to buy them :bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Benjamindaines said:
They don't ship those anymore, you have to buy them :bomb:

Ya, that's kind of dissapointing. I guess they saw what happend when they stripped down the Mac Mini and thought, "hey why not do it with everything else."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter

I just got a new 27" intel iMac. I also ordered the, Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter so that I could use my old Power Mac G5 monitor for dual display. I connected the adapter but nothing happened on the old monitor. It doesn't seam to be getting power. Am I missing something here???

I figured it out...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.