How to get admin password off of used iMac G3?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way too many Apple symbols
Let me start off by saying I am very new at this. I purchased a surplus lot of 20 iMac g3's from a school district and they all have admin passwords so settings such as monitor adjustments can not be made. I can use the computers just fine through student account but there is an account for teachers and admins with passwords. What's the route of bypassing this and then removing or disabling the password for future use? Thank you in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You would need an install - recovery disk for the operating system that's being run on the G3 machines. Those are very old machines so it may be difficult to locate an install disk. Are all the machines running the exact same operating system and are all the G3s alike?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was hoping to avoid losing the programs, a number of the computers are going to go to families with children and the education learning material on them is wonderful. The five I have tested so far are running Mac OS 9.2.

I don't know on the release dates of the models. I've got every color except for the the snow, flower power, and the Dalmatian.

Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're going to have to try and locate an OS 9.2 disk in order to reset the password on those machines. If all the machines are running the same OS 9.2, it may be possible to do the reset on all of them with one disk. It would have to be a retail version of 9.2 not specific for the machine. The best place to locate disks that old would be eBay. Resetting the password on them will not wipe the programs.

Also, read the following discussion topic that was posted on the Apple Community Support Forums which talks about resetting the password on a G3 running OS 9.2: LINK

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the forum reference, i'll be going through that next and I will be on the look for a disk now. I appreciate the help.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That post makes it seem fairly straight forward. If you just found that in the midst of the all the archives then congrats to you for being an extraordinary moderator!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck. Hopefully you'll get all those G3s working for the kids. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.