Alternative Audio App

Reaction score
Folks,
I am incredibly frustrated with the default music app on the iPhone.
I need something simple, dependable, with a clear interface.
Most importantly: the ability to fast forward in increments. I listen to a lot of audio
books and the default app scrubbing feature simply doesn't work for
me.

For podcasts, the "Downcast" app does exactly what I need.
see:
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I strongly recommend it over the default podcast app. Is there an app
you can suggest to do the job for .mp3s?

Thank you all very much in advance!

BNEX iPhone 5s / 7.0.6

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Almost all of mine are from Audible, so I use the Audible app - and it's free.
It's primarily for Audible books, but it can also play audio books from within iTunes.

You'll still sync them with iTunes.
The Audible app can then be used to play the books that are in the music app in iOS.

You've got not only a scrubber bar, but a rewind button on the main screen - then it also a button free option they call it which provides both incremental rewind and fast forward with system settings allowing you to set it at several options between 10 seconds and 90 seconds - found 30 works good for me.

Has a sleep timer you can set from 8 minutes to 60 minutes.

Also permits you to set bookmarks.

The negative is that it can't read the chapter markers for books that reside in iTunes.
Probably not a biggie as long as you don't fall asleep while listening without setting the sleep timer or saving a bookmark to find your place.

Narration speed adjustments also don't work for iTunes audio books.

Think it's the one to compare others against.

OP
B
Reaction score
Alternative Audio App ( for .mp3 files! )

Thank you bobtomay for your reply. I downloaded the Audible app and the interface is indeed strong. I tested it on the titles within my iTunes "Books" section.

Unfortunately, the Audible app does not appear to play .mp3 files.

Much of my collection is in the form of long interviews, books from the library, and symphonies in .mp3 format.

Other suggestions?

Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You need to make sure the "media kind" is set as audiobook in iTunes - if not, Audible will not see it.
It is not a music player and will not recognize your symphonies nor any other music, video, podcasts, etc...
It is strictly an audiobook player.

To check your audiobooks, right click on it in iTunes, select Get Info - go to the Options tab and change the "Media Kind" to Audiobook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.