connect mac mini to monitor and remote tv

Reaction score
Hi
I have a mid 2007 mac mini (OS-Lion)with only one video output. I would like to connect it to the adjacent monitor and a tv in the adjacent bedroom.I don't know whether to use a splitter or a switcher(I won't need to use them simultaneously), or if either would work. My guess is that a switcher would be better but don't know if switching the output would hurt the mini or not. Audio is not a problem--it's already done. Any help appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Michael Winn

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You definitely do not want to use a splitter. Switching is OK, but not all switch boxes are safe. You need to find one that will not induce a spike when the switch is changed from one position to another as that can damage the video output port on your Mini.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. As far as I can tell, there is no info on safety in the specs for switchers(at least the few I looked at) Any idea how to pick out such a one? Thanks again.
Michael

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.