Spotlight Preferences Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Hi!
I am using 10.6.8 and have a question about excluding folders from Spotlight searches.
My motivation is that I often use the search bar in a Finder window to look for a document by name or a document with certain words.

Recently I added a folder with 116,000+ files. Now, when I search, the results are polluted with many, many files from that folder. This is a folder I will never search for documents within. My genius(?) plan was to open Spotlight Preferences and add it to the Privacy list so Finder searches skip it.

Each time I try, whether by dragging or by the drill-down method, I get an error message telling me the folder could not be added due to an Unknown Error.

Please note that the folder is 3.96 gb in size. The reason it is on the Hard Drive instead of leaving it on a DVD is for fast access for the contents from the program that came with it. It is a catalog of mechanical components with many CAD drawings.

The name of the folder is on the privacy list, but the contents are still searched. When I try to remove it, I get the same error message, but the folder name does disappear. Could the folder's size be causing me problems?

What do you all think I'm doing wrong? Thanks Very Much!
Paul

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I never use Spotlight - too cumbersome. Instead I use EasyFind a free application with many options that are easy to set. Give it a try, it won't cost you anything.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
The "genius" person—I presume that's what you meant rather than your own idea?—either way, that's the proper answer.

OK, it's not working. My suggestion, worth a try anyway, is to open Spotlight via Preferences and select the Privacy Tab, as you did. But now, drag your Mac Internal HD into the box. Wait maybe 10-15 seconds, then highlight the HD and use the minus sign to remove it. This forces Spotlight to re-index you HD. It often solves the problem with all these multiple, almost random hits without your having to drag you Folder to the Privacy list.

In fact, after re-indexing, you may even find that you can then move the Folder to Privacy. In any event, it's worth a try I think.

Ian

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank You!

Thank You Chscag & IWT for your help.It is much appreciated.

The 'genius' I mentioned is, indeed, me. It was meant as a tiny bit self depreciating humor, as when I come up with an idea it often turns out wonky.

Thanks IWT for the re-indexing instructions.
Re-indexing didn't solve the problem of getting Spotlight to ignore that folder. But, it did clean up the search results for some other searches and stopped it from endlessly searching for a long gone USB drive.

My work-around to get Finder search to not see the folder I was trying to exclude was to make a dmg of it and delete the original. Now when I search, it is ignored unless it is mounted. Clumsy, bit it works.

Thanks Chscag for suggesting Easy Find.
That program is neat. I'm having a great time getting to learn its features. I like how fast & easy it is to include/exclude items. The program earned a spot on my dock (right next to FInder).

Thanks Again for your help & ideas!
Enjoy Today,
Paul

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And thank you chscag: I've been using Tembo when Spotlight "failed", but I've just tried out EasyFind and, pun intended, it's a great find. Mightily chuffed.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad you both like using "EasyFind". I gave up on Spotlight ages ago. :)

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only downside to Easy Find is that it is such a pleasure to use that I've spent the last 4 or so hours exploring my computer with it and experimenting with the program's capabilities (instead of shoveling the snow, fixing the garage door, changing the oil in the car...)

Thanks Again!
Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.