iMac 27 desktop mount WITHOUT VESA adaptor

Reaction score
Hi there. I have been trying to mount an iMac 27 (mid 2010) to a desk. We tried to use the VESA mount adaptor with the Bretford desk mount . .. but have been having all sort of problems with the VESA mount adaptor (namely, it wouldn't fit properly).

A search of the internet reveals that many people have problems actually getting the VESA mount adaptor to work (many horror stories of stripped screws, and misalignment). My question is:

Does anyone now of a deskmount for an iMac 27 that doesn't require the VESA mount adaptor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I assume the problem you are having is with Apple's VESA Mount Adapter? I just did some brief reading up on them, and it appears to me that much of the problem with stripped screws and misalignment is due to people not using the right tools. According to a review on Apple's site, the kit comes with a small Torx wrench that simply isn't up to the task. I suggest reading over the most helpful reviews on Apple's site. There's one person who said he had to install 13 of these and came up with a way to make it install smoothly. A few others recommend using a proper Torx screwdriver.
http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/M...plethunderbolt-display?fnode=53&rs=mostUseful

As for an actual alternative to Apple's adapter, here's a couple (they actually look to be the same one):
UpLift iMac VESA Adapter Plate | Shop Mac-Compatible VESA Adapters
iMac Compatible VESA Adapter Plate - Monoprice.com

I'd read over the reviews for this first. If it was me, I wouldn't buy it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi again.
Thanks for your response. I have indeed already tried the Apple VESA mount adaptor. We had these same fitting problems as the reported in the Apple product review site . . .we ended up putting the iMac 27 back on the stand it came with. As a result of numerous attempt of taking the monitor on and off the stand, the 8 screws that attach the iMac to the stand are dangerously close to stripping (haven't stripped yet, but I'm hesitant to try to move them again).
So this presents another problem I've had. I don't want to tinker around with the VESA mounts until I find replacement screws. But I can't find these replacement screws anywhere . .. I have tried the Apple store, online mac repair shops, and a dozen local computer stores. No one carries them.

So given my current situation, I either need:

1. To find replacement screws for the 8 torq screws that attach the iMac to the stand.

OR

2. To find a way to mount the imac to a desk without having to access these screws.

Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1. To find replacement screws for the 8 torq screws that attach the iMac to the stand.

Have you looked on eBay? I'm not saying you can definitely find them there, but chances are someone may be selling a set. Either that, or go to an Apple Store and see if they'll generously give you a set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm inclined to say find anything that fits. I can't imagine they must be Torx. As long as you haven't stripped the threads in the iMac itself, then find something that is identical in length, diameter, and threading to those screws. Any hardware store should have something that will work. I'd avoid regular phillips head screws, but Allen screws should work fine.

I did find product listings on MacPartsOnline for a variety of replacement screws for the mid-2010 iMac. I don't know which ones are used specifically for that mount, but they might.
iMac Aluminum 27-inch Parts Screws iMac (27-inch Mid 2010)

BTW, I found a video tutorial on YouTube for installing this for a mid-2010 iMac.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D5_uMBMaCY

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.