Mac Running PC Games/Software

O

Oriflamme

Hi.. This is my 1st thread here.. I would like to know if my Mac OS 10.2 (X) can run Windows XP as a secondary platform? I tried finding softwares which has this capability but in vain. Mac OS users.. I hope you can enlighten me. I am so tempted to get a PC Laptop because of the vast softwares which they provide. I hope that there is an alternative to a bulky & ugly PC laptop. A software which runs windows XP as the secondary OS would be nice. Thanks.. :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
First things first, what software do you want to run that you can not run on an Apple computer?

As for your initial question. The only was you are going to run windows xp on an Apple product is by using M$ virtual pc.

OP
O

Oriflamme

rman said:
First things first, what software do you want to run that you can not run on an Apple computer?

As for your initial question. The only was you are going to run windows xp on an Apple product is by using M$ virtual pc.

Well.. Loads of games and some software. I have a MS Office pack specially for my Mac. Thanks for the link. I'll try it out.. :) Reg. Virtual PC, The price is a little too steep for me. Are there any alternatives? It costs around 200++bucks for the XP Pro edition. But is it in US $$? Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Your mac wont run high graphic PC games using Virtual PC.

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Provided in the Read Me for Virtual PC:
"Virtual PC is not recommended as a gaming solution for the Mac. Virtual PC does not provide the resources many PC games require to run, such as hardware accelerated 3D video."

sKaD

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Virtual PC isn't the fastest thing ever...

OP
O

Oriflamme

Mac dude said:
Virtual PC isn't the fastest thing ever...

Then do you know of any alternatives then..? If that's the case then I guess I'll buy a ugly laptop PC just to use Win XP which is to be a more user friendly. Also the vast use of games and software which will be open to me really tempts me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Nothings fast... it EMULATES windows... slow...
if you want to play games, dont bother switching to Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
or if your a pro, build a mac and put a P4 into the drive bay, and tada, a biMac :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Mac dude said:
if you want to play games, dont bother switching to Mac...

I agree here, but apparently he already has a Mac.

Also, Laptops aren't the greatest things in the world for games, they don't put high end video cards in them, they overheat pretty quikly and well, the list could go on.

Maybe they've done something to fix all that, I haven't paid that much attention to Laptops after mine snapped in half.

sKaD

OP
O

Oriflamme

sKaD said:
I agree here, but apparently he already has a Mac.

Also, Laptops aren't the greatest things in the world for games, they don't put high end video cards in them, they overheat pretty quikly and well, the list could go on.

Maybe they've done something to fix all that, I haven't paid that much attention to Laptops after mine snapped in half.

sKaD

Actually that isn't exactly true.. My friend has a P4 1.8Ghz laptop but when he plays games they are smooth and fast. How do you explain that. Also, it runs on Win XP.. Hehe..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh, i thought it ran mac os x...
and a laptop isnt best for gaming. trust us.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
To better put it, Laptops flat out blow for gaming. If you want a mac for VPC your getting a mac for the wrong reasons.

here are the facts:
*VPC is an emulator, there is rumors that a new better emulator with graphic card capabilites is comming out.
*Laptops no matter what people say will never be as fast as a desktop, unless in the future people really slack on the desktops. But even then you have a mouse, a keyboard a larger screen.
*You buy a macintosh for the use ability and user friendliness, there is no software worth anyones time for pc there is not for macintosh (port or alternative), the games for macintosh are great, and there are more and more every day.
*Windows Xp is not a god OS, you cannot create the perfect OS when your inbreeding. Take a look at windows lineage!
*Macintosh OSX is not a god OS, but its as close as you can get in this world todate. Part of the reason why so many people are going to mac, and a few disgruntle mac users who feel hurt by mac think that by switching they can hurt macs back, but to tell you the truth, no one really cares.

Let me just say this one more thing:
When a mac user tries to convert a pc user its not because they actually feel so strongly that they need you to switch, its because they know something you don't know, reguardless of what anyone says its a PC world and everyone has used a PC every mac user knows the PC side, and they know why they are using a mac. So keep in mind, mac users are just trying to help you figure out for yourself why they arn't using a PC.

[/rant]

-The Graphite Strikes again.

(btw i have an exam in a few min in case your wondering about my post)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
lol, I was in a chat room the other day on IRC and then I took a screen shot of the chat and such and then uploaded it to my webserver then gave everyone a link, they all fell in love with it a lot of the people were like "Why does yours look different? I love the way that looks"

They were surprised it was a Mac and then 2 of the users there were giving me the quotes they got for their Macs that they were building on Apple's site and giving links. I think one of them were seriously thinking of switching, just from a screen shot. OS X looks so much nicer than XP or other Windows.

Anyways, that was way off topic.

sKaD

OP
O

Oriflamme

sKaD said:
lol, I was in a chat room the other day on IRC and then I took a screen shot of the chat and such and then uploaded it to my webserver then gave everyone a link, they all fell in love with it a lot of the people were like "Why does yours look different? I love the way that looks"

They were surprised it was a Mac and then 2 of the users there were giving me the quotes they got for their Macs that they were building on Apple's site and giving links. I think one of them were seriously thinking of switching, just from a screen shot. OS X looks so much nicer than XP or other Windows.

Anyways, that was way off topic.

sKaD

Yea.. I agree.. It's kinda unique compared to the millions of PC/laptop's using Windows which people do get tired of.
I agree that PC laptops are really power hungry. But I don't mind gettin spare batt. for my laptop. @ least I won't experience lag. Well. I guess it depends on what the user expects from a laptop. If he is an intense gamer.. I guess PC laptops or Higher end G4 powerbooks will be better off. Otherwise.. G3 ain tat bad. Another Q for you guys, you know the option to change desktop backgrounds rite? I noticed that it interferes with games which I play. Reg. whether they r in full mode or normal. They kinda lag the game. I wonder if those intense gamers experience it on their desktop G3's or G4 laptop/desktop. I wonder if it is the software error or processor... Thanks..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.