can't install Safari

Reaction score
this is a follow on from my post of 02-28-2014 'How can i get rid of safari?'
Well, thanks to Spox, all was sorted.
Ineeded to get rid of it because my system is 10.7 and needed to be 10.8 for that particular version.
But trying to install other versions threw up the message 'check with the developer to make sure Safari works with this version of Mac OSX'
I have tried 5.1.1 up tp 5.1.10 with the same results.
Ran Mac OSX Update Combo for Lion and it installed Safari 6.0.5 with the same result
I did finally look at the Report and got the following info.

Process: Safari [352]
Path: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
Identifier: com.apple.Safari
Version: 6.0.5 (7536.30.1)
Build Info: WebBrowser-7536030001000000~1
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [145]

Date/Time: 2014-03-04 11:51:59.223 +0000
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Report Version: 9

Interval Since Last Report: 385851 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 24
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 5
Anonymous UUID: 9C08D2B3-3075-4BBF-BE3A-C7E7A354653B

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreText.framework/Versions/A/CoreText
Referenced from: /System/Library/StagedFrameworks/Safari/WebKit.framework/WebKit
Reason: image not found

The 2nd line puzzles me - just can't find that path..
but could lines 20 -23 offer a clue? (Dyid Error Message)
the 2nd path exists but the 1st doesn't.
any help very much appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I just read over your prior post. You indicated you were given this MacBook recently? Just reinstall OS X and call it a day. There is simply no telling what the prior owner has done to it. At the least, s/he had a version of Safari on it that doesn't even work on this version of OS X, so who knows what other cruft is on there. If you ever want this thing to work properly, just reinstall OS X from scratch.

If you really want to know... I'm no expert on reading error messages, but the last part seems to be the most relevant:

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreText.framework/Versions/A/CoreText
Referenced from: /System/Library/StagedFrameworks/Safari/WebKit.framework/WebKit
Reason: image not found

Those files are all in /System, and that is a folder you never ever ever EVER want to mess with. EVER! That is the beating heart of OS X and tinkering in there will make your system unusable if you don't know exactly what you are doing. As it stands, it seems from the error message that something is missing from that folder, and that same something wasn't added back in by the Update Combo, likely because there was no update for it. It could be a result of other issues like bad permissions. Maybe the prior owner screwed with it. You may well even have a failing hard drive for all we know and some files there are corrupt.

What I'm going to recommend right off the bat here is you test your hard drive just to make sure it isn't failing. For as old as that MacBook is right now, if that's the original hard drive, then there's a good chance it is nearing end of life. Read my tutorial on how to do so using a couple free-to-try SMART monitoring tools.

If your drive checks out, then seriously... just reinstall OS X and call it a day.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Those files are all in /System, and that is a folder you never ever ever EVER want to mess with. EVER! That is the beating heart of OS X and tinkering in there will make your system unusable if you don't know exactly what you are doing. As it stands, it seems from the error message that something is missing from that folder, and that same something wasn't added back in by the Update Combo, likely because there was no update for it.
Just to add to this important advice, it's worth knowing that WebKit and CoreText are used by much more than just Safari. I imagine that if components of each are missing, other things are broken.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.