Best FREE Vpn and Anti-virus for MacBook Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2011, i7, 8gigs RAM, OS 10.11 iPhone 6s, ATV3
+1 for onyx

and as for a VPN.. it's not free, but Private Internet Access is $6.95 a month or $40 if you pay for a year... It is great and is so easy to use... I love it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Amateur's Perspective

I am a total amateur at computer things, so I rely on this user group for advice. Trust me, this is the place to be for honest, cheerful, helpful and knowledgable assistance!

This is what I do to protect my precious data, based on things I have learned here-
But, be sure to read replies, if any, to this message. just in case I have stuff wrong or overkill.

Background-
I never worried about security with my mac (beyond normal firewall settings) until one day when the next door neighbor asked me something very specific about my aged mother-in-law's recent medical test. Nothing about this had ever been discussed with him,nor anyone else outside my wife and myself in person. Not even on the phone.However, the test results & some other data was stored on my computer. A few days after that, he asked me of he could borrow the jackhammer I gave to my brother. Never mentioned the tool nor that I had brothers, just some e-mails to my brother about the tool. I found out later, he is some kind of spiffy computer programmer guy for the government. Maybe he was experimenting and got into my stuff by accident. I will never know, but it woke me up.

Step One- Internet connection.
I have the firewall in System Preferences turned on. I also have the internet gateway's firewall on. The gateway is in stealth mode.

Step Two- Lock Down Data
All my private data (such as the account number for the health insurance, the bank account, and so forth) are in an encrypted sparseimage folder. The password is complex and is NOT stored in my keychain.

Step Three- Lock The Keychain
I keep my keychain locked. There is an icon on my menu bar so I can lock it when I turn the computer on. If you do this, check it often. it magically unlocks itself once in a while. (There is a padlock picture that opens & closes.)
The downside? When I open Mail, I have to type the password. No big deal to me.

Step Four- Onyx
Just like suggested in this chain of messages, I use Onyx. It is very useful.

Step Five- Keep Windows In A Cage
I'm sure Windows is fine if you keep up on security updates & run anti virus software. I do this instead-
I have my hard drive partitioned into two volumes. One has the Windows Virtual Hard Drives from Virtual Box on it. There is nothing else there. This way, if something attacks Windows, I can erase the drive & begin again. I do take 'snapshots' of the virtual machine so erasing & restoring is a two minute process. Bonus? I can experiment my brains out and if I destroy something, I can fix it.
Part Two is that I do not connect to the internet or my home network from Windows (only because I don't run AV nor get the updates like a good boy should)
PS- WIth Virtual Box, I don't have to boot back & forth to get to Windows. I just start Windows from V-Box in OS X and it finds the other volume's Windows Virtual Machine.

Step Six- Scary E-Mails
Don't open goofy looking e-mails. I sincerely doubt that OS X can be harmed by anything in the nefarious e-mails, but why risk it? If I think it is legitimate, I go directly to the site in question. Example- I get tons of e-mails from my bank telling me I am overdrawn. They are not legitimate because both of my dollars are still there. If I want to see what is up, I don't click- I go straight to Poor Man's Bank dot com (Or use the telephone instead)

Step Seven- Anti Virus Program
This may not be necessary, as mentioned here. I have ClamX AV. I run it manually once in a while. I don't leave it running all the time. Like another poster mentioned, for me it only finds suspicious e-mails (and does a good job). Be sure to read their directions before you delete these e-mails. It can goof up your index if done incorrectly.
After reading this set of messages today, I may re-think having AV at all.

Step Eight- Activity Monitor
Look at Activity Monitor once in a while to see if something is running that you don't recognize. i don't know if this is at all helpful, but I don't think it can hurt to check.

Step Nine- Public Internet
I have not used to a public internet, so if I do, my Step Nine will be study this user group for advice.

Step Ten- Use This Forum!
Ask Search Here & Ask Questions Here. You will, I promise, get good information. This is the place to learn.

Conclusion-
I hope some of this is helpful, but...
Remember I am an amateur. If someone here contradicts something in my list, we both get to learn something new. Any day we get the chance to learn anything is a good day!
Have fun with your Mac. I love mine!

Enjoy Today,
Paul

Reaction score
@Paul:
You have posted good steps. However, I would add another just after step one. That is to make sure your network connection has good security with a long and complex password - WPA2 personal or better. I too had someone using my wi-fi connection. I had mine locked but the password was not good. I found out because spam and malicious malware started to be broadcast from my connection and my service provider threatened to shut me down. I changed the password and security and have had no problems since.

As to the email problem>"I sincerely doubt that OS X can be harmed by anything in the nefarious e-mails"<
This is not true. Both Sophos and The Safe Mac » Mac Malware Guide The Safe Mac » Mac Malware Guide

Are listing some of the newer malicious stuff.
Read this:
Digitally signed data-stealing malware targets Mac users in “undelivered courier item” attack | Naked Security

And this:
How secure are Apple’s iPhone and iPad from malware, really? | Naked Security

Every Mac must have quality anti-malware installed. That doesn't include mackeeper (total junk). Sophos antivirus for home users, and Intego for business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Thanks, JamesMarcos, for sharing the great tips with all of us.
Thanks, too for the informative links we all can learn from.
Paul

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Sophos antivirus for home users, and Intego for business.
Why these two? Why would we install a complete AV package to avoid malware that is, for the most part, easily avoidable with common sense and good computing practices?

Reaction score
Vpn

Haven't seen much discussion on thread of VPN. I used a pay one once while traveling but banks and other financial institutions won't let you log on using VPN so I stopped using it and don't do any financial tasks while traveling. Has anybody got a work around or suggestions that will allow me to do confidential tasks on public networks?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Stick with HTTPS. If a site doesn't offer it, try to avoid it if the information is sensitive.

Reaction score
Don't know what you've heard or read but in addition to the helpful responses you've already received, check this out:

7 completely free VPN services

I am looking for vpn and anti virus for Mac Book Pro and I want to thank you for sharing such a great useful information because I discuss this problems with other and they recommend me to buy paid vpn but I was not interested in it and once again I want to thank you.

Reaction score
Best FREE Vpn and Anti-virus for MacBook Pro

I highly recommend best 5 Best Free VPN Service Providers 2016 for Macbook pro. there are lots of free antivirus provides for mac but i recommend Avira this is free anti virus for mac users it protects you from online threats viruses, Trojans, adware and spyware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
i recommend Avira this is free anti virus for mac users it protects you from online threats viruses...

For the record putting a paper bag over your head while using your computer will offer similar protection against mac viruses. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Folk coming from Windows just will not believe there are no Mac OS X viruses Sawday!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Reaction score
I prefer to use paid antivirus software because premium version gives you extra features to detect the errors and reduce the maximum amount of corrupt files or to repair them. I am currently using avast! it is working good but I want to know if anyone using better then this please share with complete details.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I prefer to use paid antivirus software because premium version gives you extra features to detect the errors and reduce the maximum amount of corrupt files or to repair them. I am currently using avast! it is working good but I want to know if anyone using better then this please share with complete details.

I would be interested to know how you know "it is working good". Is it detecting any OSX viruses that could affect your computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) First, most of us who post to these 'malware' threads do not use AV software on our Mac computers - second, my suggestion is to remove Avast from your machine(s) (and not always an easy task to find all of the 'gremlins'!) - below are some links to help you better understand how to handle 'malware' on your Apple computers:

MacForums Security - Avast Thread - MacRumors Guide - SafeMac

Good luck - Dave

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Welcome to our Mac-Forums, kristmitchelle

I prefer to use paid antivirus software because.... .

Yes, because: antivirus (AV) slows down your Mac; it frequently misinterprets an Apple Update as a threat and consequently either blocks the update or corrupts the process to the extent that you have to disable the AV for the updates; it commonly results in false positives and false negatives; it fails to detect Malware which is much more important; and there are no viruses to detect.

Of course it is entirely your decision. Just take my word for it; if there were wild viruses targeting Apple, the media would be shouting this from the rooftops. It would be a news phenomenon.

Instead, you are putting your Mac at risk from bogus alerts and compromising the proper running of your Mac.

You are entitled to your beliefs, as we all are.

Remember, belief is either based on faith or reason. Your choice.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh well guys they won't have reason as Winows users have been absolutely pounded with the 'buy AV software' sales folks. Just look at all the 'threats to Mac' software companies bring out to persuade these folks.

AV software was a necessary evil on your Mac - last century with OS 9, 8 and 7.

Reaction score
I dun recommend a free VPN for Mac as it can leak private data and usually keep logs I only trust a quality premium VPN for my Macbook pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.