Strange behaviour after dropping water on Macbook pro and drying it.

Reaction score
Hello,

I dropped some water on the keyboard of my Macbook pro (mid 2012 version).

I immediately turned it off and dried the water. After a couple of hours, the laptop turned on by itself. And it began an estrange cycle:

It turned itself on for a couple of seconds, and then it turned itself off. And then it turned on again, and off again. And it kept doing that. I didn't know how to stop it, so I just kept the power button pressed for 30 seconds or so, and it finally stopped turning on and off by itself.

After that, I decided to remove the lower case of the laptop and during 48 hours I left in open and I applied some warm air on the laptop. During that time the battery connector was unplugged.

After 48 hours I tried to start the computer, and the behaviour is the following:

1- Like three seconds after plugin the battery connector, and without pressing the power button, the laptop turns of by itself. Is that behaviour normal?

2- The grey screen with the apple appears and the "dong" sounds, but after 10 seconds or so, the laptop shuts down.

4- I tried resetting SMC and PRAM, but nothing changes.

5- I tried verbose mode, and the last row that I see is:

"AppleIntelCPUPowerManagmentClient: ready".

6- When I try other modes like target disk or hardware test, the computer does not shuts down, it remains on until I shut it down.

7- During the whole time the computer is on, the fans are working at full speed.

8- If I try to start the system in recovery mode, it also shuts it down after a couple of seconds running.

9- The light of the battery charger is always off.

10- I tried the hardware test, but after 10 or 15 minutes the progress bar seemed stuck. I was not sure if it was ok to keep the laptop on for such a long time in this conditions, so I switched it off.

I have already an appointment at the Genius bar, but I have yet a couple of days until the date of the appointment.

So... any suggestions or ideas of what might be happening and how to solve it? I am not sure if this problem is because of the water or because of the way I switched it off when it kept switching on by itself... because it seems something related with the power managment.

Any help will be very much appreciated, thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums alas in such sad circumstances.

All too often electronics + water = death!

This is what seems to be happening with your MBP from your description of things. Sounds like the logic board os fried which is not good. As a suggestion, will your householders insurance cover this? Always worth an ask. Have a read of this sticky and fingers crossed:-

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...iquid-my-macbook-what-do-i-do-now-thread.html

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's NOT strange behavior. The behavior is EXACTLY what normally happens when liquids are spilled on electronics.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.