i cannot get the apps off my desktop

Reaction score
hi, i have apps on my desktop When i try to delete them they reappear. they are in the dock as well but if i drag themt o trash, they say the program is still running and so it cannot be deleted. I have tried to move them to the apps folder but they are in there. They are clogging up my desktop. how do I get rid of them or move them so that they are not on the desktop?

thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
edit:
Actually this is 1st - read the following on learning how to install 3rd party applications - am thinking you only need to read the 1st post there for the time being to make sure you have actually installed these apps and you're not running them from the download.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/251468-installing-uninstalling-applications.html

1st - don't install any more apps to the desktop

2nd - you need to quit a running app.
You'll do that by selecting the app's name on the left side of the Menu bar (that bar at the top of the screen) while it is the one in focus and select "Quit"

or

Right click (or 'option click') the icon in the Dock and select 'Quit'

3rd - Drag the icon from your Desktop to the Applications folder - If it is already in the Applications folder - delete the icon on the Desktop.

After you've done the above and cleared up your Desktop, you can go back and read the rest of the above link for other install and uninstall tips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If the apps are in the Applications folder, then what you have on your desktop are shortcuts to those apps. Just quit the apps and drag the desktop icon to the trash. This will NOT delete the apps from your computer, they will simply remove their shortcuts from the desktop.

It sounds like the apps you are trying to delete are still running. Remember that (in most cases) if you close an app by clicking on the red X button in the top left of the window, it will not actually quit the program. The window will disappear but the app is probably still running in the background. You can right click the Dock icon and choose Quit as bobtomay said, or you can click the Dock icon and choose Quit from the application's menu at the top left of the menu bar. You can also see and select your open apps by using Command-Tab.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Guys, you can delete an alias (aka, shortcut) of an app that is still running.

OP, you need to be more precise when describing what is happening and what you are doing.

hi, i have apps on my desktop When i try to delete them they reappear.
Ok, how are you deleting the icons on your Desktop? When do they reappear? (immediately? after a restart? when?)

they are in the dock as well but if i drag them to trash,
I'm assuming that here, you mean you are dragging an icon from the Dock to the Trash. That's not how you get rid of icons on the Dock, but I thought you just wanted to get rid of them from the Desktop. If you're not concerned with the icons in the Dock, don't mention it.

they say the program is still running and so it cannot be deleted. I have tried to move them to the apps folder but they are in there.
Here, I think you're back to talking about the icons on the Desktop. Guys, again, it's possible to move an alias to the Applications folder that contains the original, as long as the names are not identical.

They are clogging up my desktop. how do I get rid of them or move them so that they are not on the desktop?
First, give the specifics requested above. We can't help until we can figure out what is going on.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi, there. toMACsh, let me try to be more clear without being longwinded...apparently I chose wrongly last time. I downloaded two apps (firefox and "Show Desktop") Upon installing/ running them, they appear on my desktop. during the firefox installation the window appeared allowing me to move the icon to the apps folder. I did that, closed the window with the icon and apps folder in it (Oh and it told me there were other versions so what did I want to do, I said replace the other version). If I ever open the apps folder, the screen with the firefox icon and the apps folder appears again. In the apps folder there are several versions. So, though it will go away from my desktop, it appears again once I open the apps folder.

The "show desktop" app works a little differently. It will not leave my desktop at all. Upon installation it creates an icon on the desktop. I have tried to eject it, I have tried to drag the desktop icon to the trash. I have tried to drag it to the apps folder.Whenever I do an of these, I get a message that says:

The disk “Show Desktop” couldn’t be ejected because “Show Desktop” is using it.

I have not tried to drag either of these icons from the dock, as that is where I would like them. I only want to remove them from the desktop. At present, the icon "Show desktop" is on the desktop, the firefox one is not. However, if I open the apps folder, the firefox icon and apps folder screen appear. Assumedly telling me to move the firefox icon into the apps folder which I have done numerous times.

thank you for letting me know if you have any other thoughts about this scenario.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
dabren: Your first post was clear enough...

As suspected, you have NOT installed either of these applications.
You ARE opening the applications from the .dmg you downloaded instead of installing them.

To learn the difference - Once again, you need to go to the below link and read (or re-read) the 1st post in the following link and learn how to install 3rd party applications.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/251468-installing-uninstalling-applications.html

Don't even read below this line until you have read (or read again) that first post in the link above.

My best suggestion at this point... we're going to get you back to square one and start all over so that you INSTALL an application and not open it from the .dmg file you download every time.

Firefox:
Quit Firefox
Don't just close the window - that does not stop the running program - this isn't Windows.
I want you to right click (or hold down the option key and click) on the Firefox icon in the Dock - then select "Quit".
Now test it - right click on the Firefox icon in the dock - if "Quit" is no longer listed - we know it is no longer running.

Once you know Firefox is no longer running:
1. If there is a Firefox icon in the Dock - drag that icon off the dock and let go of it - it should go up in a puff of smoke.
2. Any Firefox you still have on the Desktop - move it to the Trash.
3. Click on the Finder icon in the Dock - select the Applications folder in the left sidebar - drag every single Firefox item you have in there and put them all in the Trash.
4. Now click on the Downloads folder on the left side of the Finder window - if it is not empty (why isn't it?) - I want you to drag every single Firefox item you have in there and put them all in the Trash.

1-4B. Now empty the trash - I am "assuming" here you do not use the Trash as a storage place for any files you wish to keep.

5. After you have done that - download Firefox.
6. When the download is done - double click on the downloaded file.
You are going to see this:

Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 5.30.57 AM.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After you do the above...

10. Close the window by clicking on the red dot in the corner
11. Then, the Firefox icon that you're not suppose to touch - right click on it and select "Eject Firefox".

12. Delete the downloaded file.

13. Now click on the Applications folder in the Dock and open Firefox.
14. After it is open - right click the Firefox icon in the Dock - select Options - select Keep in Dock.

You have now "installed" an application and have set it to stay in the Dock.

You can do the same for "Show Desktop"
However, there is no need for such an app and I recommend you go through all the same steps to delete it, do not reinstall it and then learn how to show the Desktop in your version of OS X without the need for a 3rd party app to do it.

OP
D
Reaction score
I really appreciate your patience. Thank you. I am seriously not trying to be obtuse....I think somehow I am really missing something here. I have tried as you suggested numerous times with the same outcome. Would it help if I delete these applications and try again? I have read and followed the instructions you have sent a couple of times with no luck. I have not gone beyond what you said in the message about doing anything before completing those first steps. I still run into the same problem/ Clearly, they are not installing properly. I am sorry to bug you again about this. would you suggest I delete them and try again? I am glad to do so. I think there is more than one copy of each at this point in the applications folder.

also, you mention an applications icon on the dock. What does that look like? is it the launchpad? the System preference one? the finder? I cannot tell which one is considered the applications icon. None of them say that word. Thank you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, but I cannot provide any more explicit directions than what I have provided above. If you are having the issue still, then you have simply not followed every direction in a step by step manner. Yes, I have pretty clearly indicated and provided you with where to look, I want you to delete every instance of Firefox you already have on the computer.

Next step - you will need to provide us with pictures so that we can see what you are seeing.

If you have removed the Applications folder from the right side of the Dock - then you will need to open Finder and select Applications. Yours could look different than mine because it has several settings available.

Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 5.10.04 AM.png

OP
D
Reaction score
Greetings, I think I have managed to fix it by deleting everything and trying again paying careful attention to the great link you sent me. Certainly I had not installed these as I had thought. At present, they seem to be working fine. I thank you very much. I am most grateful!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.