Powerbook G4 will not connect to WIFI

Reaction score
I have an older Powerbook G4 that I am trying to give to my son. I never had a problem connecting to my own wifi network before, but suddenly there is an issue. Here are some facts that will hopefully help with the answer:
-I can see the network with the laptop.
-I've connected before using my password
-Ethernet cable works fine
-My neighbor has an unprotected signal and it will connect to that one fine.
-Other devices like, iPad, iPhone, PS3, etc have no problem connecting.
-I have a Belkin with WPA/WPA2 security.
-I've tried all of the power off/on restarting stuff.
-The second I put in my password and press enter it says no connection. Doesn't even appear to search or anything.

All this stuff seems random so Im at a loss.

Also, just realized it is saying "incorrect password" which makes no sense because it is the same password that 10 other devices are using to connect as I type this.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Have you always used WPA2 security back when it would connect? What version of OSX is on the G4 Powerbook?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is there any chance your wifi card in the G4 is old enough to need/be using WEP encryption. I've got a G3 iBook that does not seem to handle WPA properly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
-I have a Belkin with WPA/WPA2 security.

Like dtravis7 and Slydude mentioned/suggested...I also think that the issue may be the WPA security (you can "see" it...but cannot connect).

You didn't tell us the exact model Powerbook G4 you have (there were a lot of them). But older WiFi hardware were limited to WEP security only...thus they cannot connect to a WPA password secured network.

- Nick

C

chas_m

Actually that machine might have support for WPA, but not WPA2. And that's where I think the problem lies.

As for giving your son a (minimum) nine-year-old computer -- what's the matter, don't you like him? :)

(disclaimer: I don't anything about your son, but let's just say I would hand it back and tell you to keep it, as its street value is probably less than $100 and it's security/practical value for modern use is nil)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.