Question about Gaming on a mac/Video Editing

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro, specs are:
2.4 ghz intel core i7
4gb 1333 Mhz DDR3
15.4 inch hd graphics 3000 384 mb

I just received it from my father after my late 2007 macbook went down.

While it was my fathers, it was mainly reserved for video editing on FCP7 (I'll be upgrading to premier at some point).

I have a desktop, that I would use for moderate gaming (TF2 is the most graphically demanding game I play). Now, after receiving this macbook, I would like to consolidate my computing down to one machine, the macbook pro. My only concern is that my gaming will cause more wear and tear on this machine that I would like and would eventually lead to it's demise. On top of gaming I'll be doing video editing.

I don't play for too long at a time, it is just mainly casual, but I would hate to see another mac product go down. These are just too expensive to treat lightly (either that, or I am just paranoid).

I play my games on low, and like I said, not that often. Do I really have anything to worry about?

TF2 looks fine when I play it (FPS wise), it is just the heat that worries me. It got hotter when I had the graphics turn up higher, now it's not so bad.

I guess I'm just looking for peace of mind.

Thanks guys!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If I'm not mistaken, that machine has dual graphics.... I just looked it up:

Graphics Card AMD Radeon HD 6750M or 6770M and Intel HD Graphics 3000

Are you dual booting with Windows using Boot Camp or are you just playing games while in OS X? Also, that machine can be upgraded to Mavericks, OS X 10.9.2 and 16 GB of memory.

I wouldn't worry about the heat. What I recommend is a notebook stand to help with cooling by allowing air to flow under and around and at the same time provides protection against nasty spills.

Reaction score
^
As he said proper airflow and that Macbook will play whatever games you want.
Congrats on the new mac.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you guys! I did not even realize it had that other radeon card...but there it is. I didn't even look at it, I just went straight to the display page.

Right on!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.