MacBook Pro drops house network connection

Reaction score
I have a 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina and with Mavericks 10.9. It drops the W-Fi connection to the Apple Time Capsule router/hub consistently. I should say it has to be re-established every time I get back on the Mac. I never had this problem with the previous laptop, a 2008 MacBook which locked on the network and stayed there. The Time Capsule is also attached to an iMac by the ethernet and has no problems. My tech person who is very sharp has been all over this and can't find anything wrong. He theorizes the battery saving algorithms in the new Macs are causing this.

Any info on this situation out trhere?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello - not sure that I can help much but some more information may be useful: 1) When you state that you have to 're-established every time..', do you mean that the MBPro has been in sleep mode or off and rebooted?; 2) Who is your ISP and do you have a cable or DSL modem attached to your Time Capsule?; and 3) Do you have other Wi-Fi devices having issues w/ your wireless connection? Sorry, just for starters - Dave :)

OP
L
Reaction score
OK, thanks. Answers are:
1. on both cases...namely sleep mode wake up and rebooted from off
2. yes have a cable modem attached to the Time Capsule
3. ISP is a local service, Central Valley Cable since I live in a rural area. I do have fairly high speed service 1.5M/1M down/up.
This configuration worked fine for the prior 2008 MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
OK, thanks. Answers are:
1. on both cases...namely sleep mode wake up and rebooted from off
2. yes have a cable modem attached to the Time Capsule
3. ISP is a local service, Central Valley Cable since I live in a rural area. I do have fairly high speed service 1.5M/1M down/up.
This configuration worked fine for the prior 2008 MacBook.

Hi again and thanks for the information. Concerning the suggestion of your friend, your might want to check the Power Nap information which has been causing some issues; however, I have the same MBPro as you (i.e. date) and my Power Nap is on w/o the problems you describe; but worth some 'trial & error' testing and googling.

Might want to also provide the model of your Time Capsule and whether you've done a recent firmware upgrade & a reboot of the device? I have an older AirPort Extreme w/ 802.11 b/g/n - seems that the firmware upgrade is for the newer models offering the 802.11 ac protocol (some info Here).

Finally, just curious about your speeds - I'm assuming that you mean 1.5 Mbps DL & 1Mbps UL speeds - I'm on a TW cable modem and using Speedtest Net typically achieve about 20 Mbps DL (and 2-3 Mbps UL) speeds, so you download speed is rather slow, but doubt that would explain your Wi-Fi issue?

Well, see if any of these comments helps - good luck and please post back - we have some excellent network people here (I'm kind of just a well-informed amateur) - :) Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.