lacie external hard drive install

Reaction score
Hi, So I just got a lacie 1 TB external hd. As im installing/formatting it, it tells me that formatting it will erase the disk!?! So what the heck, cant I just buy a harddrive and have it be simple? My other external hd is full, so I cant put any more of whats on the mac there.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi, So I just got a lacie 1 TB external hd. As im installing/formatting it, it tells me that formatting it will erase the disk!?! So what the heck, cant I just buy a harddrive and have it be simple?

Formatting the HD is VERY simple. Will probably only take 5-10 seconds at the most. AND…since Macintosh computers can sometimes need a new hard drive formatted properly (different from Windows computers)…it's really not such a bad idea to do it.:)

What's a whole 5-10 seconds in the grand scheme of things??;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi, So I just got a lacie 1 TB external hd. As im installing/formatting it, it tells me that formatting it will erase the disk!?! So what the heck, cant I just buy a harddrive and have it be simple? My other external hd is full, so I cant put any more of whats on the mac there.

Well, I'd have to agree w/ Nick - what's your concern? If the HD is new, then you have no data to lose when formatted - the point is how do you want to use this drive, i.e. just on a Mac computer and/or on a PC? And how was the HD formatted when purchased - I would guess FAT32? If you want to only use this new drive on a Mac computer and if formatted w/ FAT32, then a reformat to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) would be the usual choice (info HERE) - but, let us know your goals for this new HD - Dave :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Im under the impression it will erase whats on my *mac*- is that totally uncalled for? Would this drive then only have these issues being connected/formatted with another computer after it has been used? So what would happen if I upgrade to a new mac someday? thanks again

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im under the impression it will erase whats on my *mac*- is that totally uncalled for?

Only one hard drive can be formatted at one time (not your computers internal drive & the new external drive simultaneously). So as long as only the new external drive is selected…ONLY the external drive will be formatted.:)

Would this drive then only have these issues being connected/formatted with another computer after it has been used? So what would happen if I upgrade to a new mac someday? thanks again

As long as we are talking other Macintosh computers…no problem.:)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Simple does not imply there is "no" skill / understanding required.

Yes, with some minimal understanding, the impression that it will erase your Mac is uncalled for.

Formatting is going to erase the "single" drive that you have selected to format.
It is not going to erase any other drive connected to the machine.
Every drive has to be formatted in order to be used.

If you select the wrong drive - for example the external drive you already have full in this case - then it would erase all the data on "that" drive. The warning is there as a 2nd chance - so that you have the time to look and make sure you have selected the correct drive you wish to format.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Nice catch guys. Didn't catch that the OP had misunderstood that dialog till I read your responses.

C

chas_m

Actually, Disk Utilities won't LET you erase the drive you're booted from, so that worry is a non-issue.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, Disk Utilities won't LET you erase the drive you're booted from, so that worry is a non-issue.

I was going to mention that as well (but forgot to in my earlier post). Thanks for mentioning it.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.