Is my used 1.33 a good deal?

A

airline1

Have bought an iBook 1.33 14.1" with airport extreme, combo drive. In as new condition and with a load of software inc photoshop 8, office 2004 all with discs.

Bit late to ask the question :black: but having paid £645 ($1000) have I got a reasonably good deal.

I have always been a PC user and I am considering switching to the mac pro, but wanted to get a feel for the apple system before blowing £1800.

It also comes with a few games inc Medal of Honour, will this work ok on this machine or does the ibook lag a bit when it comes to games.

Also, if I were to upgrade the ram to 1 gig, can I just buy any PC2100 DDR266 or does it have to be Apple specific?

Cheers
Dave

Reaction score
airline1 said:
Also, if I were to upgrade the ram to 1 gig, can I just buy any PC2100 DDR266 or does it have to be Apple specific?

It doesn't need to be Apple specific.

I think that would have been a good deal even if it didn't come with legit versions of all that software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Sounds like you got a good deal for an ibook with a 14" screen and all those extra software progams! Congrats on switching to the mac!

Reaction score
London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.
Hi airline,

taht si nota bad deal taking into account softwrae. Other wise I would have adviced an apple 14" refrub of the latest version for £670 approx. Also as I guess you are from the Uk try crucial they are really grat and even have aguide to which ram you need. But make sure you get minium 512 as tiger nned s 512 to run ok. I find personal preferance. also the ram is a cinch to put in.

You could also try ebuyer they do cheap laptop memory.

As for games on my ibooks I run command and conquer generals but you really need the ram then as it slows down a lot.

What plays well is warcraft 3
age of mythology
halo
risk 2 using os9
rise of nations gold
tiger woods golf
and a few other games but definatly upgrade ram helps a lot when playing games.

OP
D

DigitalN.

apple_power said:
Hi airline,

taht si nota bad deal taking into account softwrae. Other wise I would have adviced an apple 14" refrub of the latest version for £670 approx. Also as I guess you are from the Uk try crucial they are really grat and even have aguide to which ram you need. But make sure you get minium 512 as tiger nned s 512 to run ok. I find personal preferance. also the ram is a cinch to put in.

You could also try ebuyer they do cheap laptop memory.

As for games on my ibooks I run command and conquer generals but you really need the ram then as it slows down a lot.

What plays well is warcraft 3
age of mythology
halo
risk 2 using os9
rise of nations gold
tiger woods golf
and a few other games but definatly upgrade ram helps a lot when playing games.
hate to break it to ya, but Halo does not run well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DigitalN. said:
hate to break it to ya, but Halo does not run well.
Actually halo runs quite well if you have 1.5gb ram and also dont max out your settings. Try adjusting your settings.

OP
A

airline1

Thanks for the replies.

Not knowing anything about Macs its good to hear I have paid a good price for it.
It has 512mb ram installed, but I am watching a 1gig of micron on ebay so may bid on that if it looks like its going to sell for a sensible price. I checked crucials site but they are asking £117.
Have also just bought off amazon the 'missing manual' for tiger, so hopefully that will get me started with the 'conversion'.

Im sure I will be back with the usual newbie questions, but promise to use the search function first !! :black:

Cheers
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
airline1 said:
Thanks for the replies.

Not knowing anything about Macs its good to hear I have paid a good price for it.
It has 512mb ram installed, but I am watching a 1gig of micron on ebay so may bid on that if it looks like its going to sell for a sensible price. I checked crucials site but they are asking £117.
Have also just bought off amazon the 'missing manual' for tiger, so hopefully that will get me started with the 'conversion'.

Im sure I will be back with the usual newbie questions, but promise to use the search function first !! :black:

Cheers
Dave

Dave,

You can get a 1gig stick from ebuyer for £90.16 plus delivery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.