Documents Icons Blank - Libre Office

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced this problem? I installed Libre Office on my iMac. Any document created in Libre saves in the documents folder as a blank icon. No green or blue icons. I DO have the icon preview shut off. How can I get the Libre Office colored icons to appear?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 1.34.49 PM.png

You mean like that icon?

Mine does that, too. I'm not sure if it's a Mavericks thing or a LibreOffice thing. It doesn't bother me though.

If I change it to icon view it shows:
Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 1.36.35 PM.png

Do you have yours in list-view?

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes. I always use List View. I have tried Icon view and don't care for that view. I forgot to mention two possibly important facts. This applies to docs created in Libre but saved as DOCX. Also, if I do a "save as" of the DOCX doc to ODT then the icon shows in a nice green (spreadsheet) or blue (text doc). Two problems here. First both spreadsheets and text docs save in the same section of the doc folder. In other words the folder is partitioned into three sections such as Documents and Spreadsheets and PDF and Other. Everything saves to the Text Docs section. Secondly, ODT sucks. It won't open in MS Word. Have you experienced any of these symptoms?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. I always use List View. I have tried Icon view and don't care for that view. I forgot to mention two possibly important facts. This applies to docs created in Libre but saved as DOCX. Also, if I do a "save as" of the DOCX doc to ODT then the icon shows in a nice green (spreadsheet) or blue (text doc). Two problems here. First both spreadsheets and text docs save in the same section of the doc folder. In other words the folder is partitioned into three sections such as Documents and Spreadsheets and PDF and Other. Everything saves to the Text Docs section. Secondly, ODT sucks. It won't open in MS Word. Have you experienced any of these symptoms?

1. My .doc files saved from LibreOffice also show as a "blank" white icon.
2. .doc saved in LibreOffice to .odt show as a blue enhanced icon, too.
3. You can choose Save As to tell LibreOffice where to save that specific file. It seems you are just choosing Save and it auto-saves into Text Docs instead of Documents/Spreadsheets or Documents/Other
4. Of course ODT won't open in MS Word. MS Word is proprietary, meaning it only opens documents saved using it's own proprietary file format and extension. You can easily open .doc or .docx in LibreOffice as a text document and .xls and .xlsx in LibreOffice though. It's that way with 99% of programs out there. Your complaint would be similar to trying to open a .dmg Mac file in MS Windows. It just doesn't work that way. MS Windows has .exe and OSX has .dmg and .pkg for app installation files.

Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 3.07.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 3.08.28 PM.png

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and the Icons demo. Perhaps I wasn't clear regarding the .ODT issue. I actually wasn't trying to save in the .OTD format. I only did that to determine what would happen if I did it. In other words to see if the .ODT doc would show in color, which it did. But it will not save in color if I save it as .DOCX. Apparently I was mistaken abouit the limitations of .ODT (not that I care or need to use it) I just was under the impression that .ODT was an open document format, meaning that it would open in any word processor. If it doesn't work that way then what's the point of having it and making it available?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info and the Icons demo. Perhaps I wasn't clear regarding the .ODT issue. I actually wasn't trying to save in the .OTD format. I only did that to determine what would happen if I did it. In other words to see if the .ODT doc would show in color, which it did. But it will not save in color if I save it as .DOCX. Apparently I was mistaken abouit the limitations of .ODT (not that I care or need to use it) I just was under the impression that .ODT was an open document format, meaning that it would open in any word processor. If it doesn't work that way then what's the point of having it and making it available?

Open document formats mean they open in certain free and open source programs. ODT will open in LibreOffice and OpenOffice. It means that it is not a propietary closed-source format. MS Word will not open ODT because it is closed-source and Microsoft chooses to not incorporate it. Just as an MS Works document will not open in MS Office. It's still pretty much synonymous to an .exe not opening on a Mac. Or a square peg not fitting into a round hole. I can't find any better ways of explaining it. That's just how the software world works.

The point of having it that way and making it available is that you can save your document in it's native format as well as many other formats. If you and your coworkers or friends only use LibreOffice (or OpenOffice) then you don't have to convert your documents to proprietary formats and risk losing some formatting.

If you only need it for MS Office and can't afford to purchase Office then you should just always save your documents in the Office formats. Yes, you are frustrated that your Mac doesn't show the correct colored icon in Finder but it's really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It is what it is.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ahhhh. I am enlightened. Thank you for your explanation. It is now clear in my mind. I was thinking that .ODT was something like .PDF in that it will open in any type of office suite, MS Word, Word Perfect, MS Works (?), etc. Yes, I suppose I am a bit (not frustrated) but disappointed. I love my iMac and I love Libre Office and will continue to use both. What is your opinion of the Libre "start page" where when you open LO you are confronted with icons of recently opened documents. I can tell you that I absolutely don't like it. In Windows there is a very easy work-around for deactivating that page. I tried to do the same in mac but apparently the program files are named differently than windows and I didn't recognize which file was which. In other words, which file represents Calc, Write etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.