Corrupted preference files

Reaction score
I have a new problem opening Excel files from a flash drive or e mail attachment. I contacted Microsoft tech support and they quoted me $250 to solve the problem which seemed bizarre. If yo are patient here is a summary of the problem

I am having trouble opening an Excel file. It was created in Excel and copied to a memory stick but the extension is .xlsx.cpcg. The default program to open is Archive Utility (Excel is not an option). When I “open” it in Archive Utility it creates a thumbnail with the extension . xlsx and again the default program to open is Archive Utility (Excel is still not an option).
Here is what the Microsoft tech said:

I have diagnosed your MAC preference files which an individual entity which holds all the settings and associated information for the apps installed in your computer. After the diagnosis it was determined that the Excel preference file system is corrupted completely and it seems like a virus/Malware might have damaged the preference files.
Since, MAC stores every application in an individual entity called application preference the corruption is isolated to Office program for now. If these corrupted are not addressed now then there is a possibility of them migrating to other application preference file as well which can lead to other complications.
To fix the problems with the Excel file not opening and to avoid other application being corrupted, an erroneous Excel preference files has to be isolated and repaired manually along with the removal of the bug which might have caused this corruption in the first place.

At this point she quoted me $250 to fix the problem and when I objected she dropped it to $150. Sounds like a used car salesman.

Questions:

Does this diagnosis have any possibility of being correct?

If true, is there a way for me to fix the problem?

Sorry for the long winded diatribe. Suggestions will be sincerely appreciated

poppi

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I am going to assume you're talking about it having a .cpgz extension, since there is no cpcg extension I'm aware of or can find.

We're talking about a problem opening a single (as in one) file?
And other excel files open just fine?
That would almost assuredly be a problem with the file, not a preference file, not Excel, nor anything else on your Mac.

But, you can see this article.
His first option also is that the file is corrupt.
Then lists a couple of things you might try to open the file.

OP
P
Reaction score
I am going to assume you're talking about it having a .cpgz extension, since there is no cpcg extension I'm aware of or can find.

We're talking about a problem opening a single (as in one) file?
And other excel files open just fine?
That would almost assuredly be a problem with the file, not a preference file, not Excel, nor anything else on your Mac.

But, you can see this article.
His first option also is that the file is corrupt.
Then lists a couple of things you might try to open the file.

tried that and this is what appeared in the terminal screen

unzip /Volumes/POPPI\ FLASH/KAISER\ COMPARISON\ 4.xlsx.cpgz
Archive: /Volumes/POPPI FLASH/KAISER COMPARISON 4.xlsx.cpgz
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
note: /Volumes/POPPI FLASH/KAISER COMPARISON 4.xlsx.cpgz may be a plain executable, not an archive
unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /Volumes/POPPI FLASH/KAISER COMPARISON 4.xlsx.cpgz or
/Volumes/POPPI FLASH/KAISER COMPARISON 4.xlsx.cpgz.zip, and cannot find /Volumes/POPPI FLASH/KAISER COMPARISON 4.xlsx.cpgz.ZIP, period.
unknown0023121b861f:~ johnhendrie$

It appears to not recognize the file

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You could try opening in in Libre Office (free) and copying all then pasting into a new Excel file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.