Photos taking up Space

Reaction score
I recently moved all my photos from my computer onto an external hard drive to try to free up some space. I thought I had deleted the photos from the computer after successfully moving them, but I still see that about 82GB of space is being taken up by photos and I can't seem to find where they are to be able to get rid of them!
I am using iPhoto.
Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I recently moved all my photos from my computer onto an external hard drive to try to free up some space. I thought I had deleted the photos from the computer after successfully moving them, but I still see that about 82GB of space is being taken up by photos and I can't seem to find where they are to be able to get rid of them!
I am using iPhoto.
Help?

I'm going to ask an obvious question. Did you empty the trash?

OP
I
Reaction score
I'm going to ask an obvious question. Did you empty the trash?

Ha ha! Yes. I've emptied the trash many times since I attempted to delete the photos. I'm thinking that they might still be on my computer somehow because I actually deleted the library icon instead of "showing package contents" then deleting them from there. So now, how do I find them and delete them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Do you have any apps like Daisy Disk, or What Size that can scan the drive and tell you exactly where all of the space is being taken up? These are both great apps and worth their weight in gold IMO.

OP
I
Reaction score
No, I don't have any apps like that. I've just been seeing the space under "About this Mac"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Do you have Dropbox, Google Drive, Skydrive, etc. installed on your Mac? All of these programs allow photo sync and those will show space taken by photos if you have any in these locations. For instance, my Photos folder on the Mac only shows 2gb of data, but if I look at About this Mac photos shows 50+ gb. I use Dropbox and have tons of photos in there.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks JohnCL. I do have Dropbox, and deleted what I had stored there, which freed up about 1GB of space, but that didn't change the amount of space it says is being taken up by photos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.