• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Snow Leopard updates

Reaction score
From Slashdot this morning:

"As Apple issued an update for Mavericks, Mountain Lion, and Lion yesterday, Snow Leopard users have not seen a security update since September, 2013. This would not be noteworthy if Apple, like a host of other major software vendors, would clearly spell out its OS support policies and warn users of such changes, but they have not. Thus, the approximately 20% of Mac users still running Snow Leopard now find themselves in a very vulnerable state without the latest security updates."

Apple Drops Snow Leopard Security Updates, Doesn't Tell Anyone - Slashdot

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to read further on down in this article, specifically the input from users like you and I. Lots of varying opinions. Also keep in mind that Apple is still offering Snow Leopard for $19.99 from their on line store - since it's required for access to the Mac App Store. Doesn't make sense in my opinion that they would abandon it. At least not at this point in time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Also keep in mind that Apple is still offering Snow Leopard for $19.99 from their on line store - since it's required for access to the Mac App Store. Doesn't make sense in my opinion that they would abandon it. At least not at this point in time.

Just think if Apple stopped selling the Snow Leopard disks...since Snow Leopard is the "gateway" to the Mac App Store...and newer OS versions.

Snow Leopard install disks could get as expensive/valuable as 10.5 install disks used to be...and still are to a degree.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Just think if Apple stopped selling the Snow Leopard disks...since Snow Leopard is the "gateway" to the Mac App Store...and newer OS versions.

Snow Leopard install disks could get as expensive/valuable as 10.5 install disks used to be...and still are to a degree.

- Nick

Hmm... buy a few and make a return on investment on CL or eBay a year from now? :$

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One quick point, many feel that ALL OSX versions had that issue with the Goto. 10.6.8 does not have it so does not need to be updated due to that issue. running it here on older iMac and that test comes up green.

Agree on the rest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
All the big cats will be on the endangered species list sooner or later. I kept Leopard running until this January, and never had a security issue. So this "lack of support" is a yawner for me.

C

chas_m

As Snow Leopard is now five years old, it is coming to EOL for updates. Crucial security updates would likely still be issued for a little while yet, and the company just updated iTunes for Snow Leopard and later the other day (Feb 26, to be precise) for compatibility reasons.

There's no "mystery" here -- Apple has a very long tradition of active support of OSes for three "generations" back or five years, whichever is longer. Looks to me as though that guideline is still in force, which means the OS will stop receiving updates of any kind (from Apple, anyway) by the end of the summer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
As Snow Leopard is now five years old, it is coming to EOL for updates. Crucial security updates would likely still be issued for a little while yet, and the company just updated iTunes for Snow Leopard and later the other day (Feb 26, to be precise) for compatibility reasons.

Thanks for the tip. Just looked for it ahead of my scheduled run of Software Update. This is what it says about iTunes 11.1.5:

This update fixes a problem that may cause iTunes to quit unexpectedly when a device is connected and improves compatibility with iBooks for Mac on OS X Mavericks.

I assume it is compatible with Snow Leopard, or it wouldn't have shown up for me. SO doesn't find much, of course with SL as my OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.