In a Panic Over Kernel Panic

Reaction score
ok so I got the dreaded kernel panic. Apparantly my mac is so screwed up that it didn't even display the error message, just froze up. I hard reset it and bam. Kernel Panic.

After installing the OS onto my external (which I am using now) I tried to use migration assistant to save my files since apparently my mac is unrepairable due to how bad it is.

Migration Assistant just crashes back to my login screen.

Ever the optimist I use Diskwarrior because it seems to be the benevolent god that steps in to calmly retrieve your doomed files before you chuck your mac out the window and I set it to run and... crash.

So I know I have to erase and restore my entire macbook but I HAVE to get these files off my HD. I had two externals with all my backups stolen earlier this year and these files are irreplaceable.

Should I seek the help of a professional or is there something I haven't tried?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What Mac?
What version of OS X?

So, you're saying it is crashing whether you boot to the internal or the external drive?
Does this machine have the original or have you put in new RAM?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.