iCloud mail settings in MAIL

Reaction score
in order to load my usual email ac on my iphone (os 7+) my verizon person forwarded it through my icloud email ac. That works on the phone, but it prevents me from using pop on my laptop or imac for the usual email ac.
So I figured I'd put the icloud ac on MAIL and it would work, forwarding what I need. It doesn't work - or possibly it downloads msgs, but it won't send smtp. I am not connected to mobile me - don't know why. I was not prompted to start it when I turned icloud on. my usual email is with Yahoo small business, and has proved to be a nightmare trying to run on all devices. I got locked out of my phone trying to follow their one-time password directions, and that was what made the verizon folks do a forward. all software is up to date,
and I've gone through Apple's list of stuff.

Thanks for any advice...Joan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Joan:

I removed your email address from your post. You don't want to include an email address in a public forum as Spam bots will pick it up and you'll be deluged with junk mail.

To solve your problem, you might wish to switch from PoP mail to IMAP which will automatically sync mail on all your devices.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks for taking my email off the post!
A new account appeared after I put my iphone online (it had to be reset yesterday, and with all the email trouble, I didn't realize it wasn't on). This one is my icloud email, and it is IMAP, but there's no entry for an incoming mail server, and I don't know what that info is, + it won't let me type in that box. SMTP is listed, but also "can't connect to the server".

Nevertheless, I'm receiving emails in that account.

Yahoo has warned me not to set it up on my computer with imap - and anyway, because of forwarding through icloud, Yahoo won't let me use the PoP ac.

But many thanks again, Joan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
You don't list your devices in your profile. I am no expert but, once you have set up iCloud the incoming server, which will have a prefix followed by a dash then imap.mail.me.com, should be automatically set up. I believe SMTP only relates to POP accounts. Once you have deleted/filed an e-mail sent/received from/in an iCloud address IMAP will delete it from all your other devices synced with iCloud. As far as my current provider is concerned e-mails have to be deleted separately on each device, which is a pain.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks, Alwyn. I thought setting up in iCloud automatically also set up in MAIL. After spinning my mind and fingers on the mouse frantically w/o knowing what to do for days, I finally went into the mail/calendars/notes setup that is an icon separate from the one within the iCloud icon, and clicked on iCloud there, which did have the email account listed, but ran "starting up" to it. Bingo. I did this on my laptop and imac, and now can send and receive mail with that account on both computers and my iphone. Yep the email deletion thing is true for me too. The whole nightmare started with me trying to load my yahoo small business email onto my phone; Yahoo's instructions are hidden below those for their free accounts, and have a lot of footnotes, like having to set up a one time password for the phone before you can access the setup. La, I put in the password and disabled my phone! So Verizon helped me restore it thank heaven. But in the meantime, Yahoo is not answering their phones and they don't have chatlines, only emails that take 8 or more hours for replies and give you a phone # that hangs up on you. Sorry to go on and on, but maybe others will benefit from my travails. So if you choose to bypass the convoluted process of putting yahoo (small bus..) email on your phone, and instead forward it through iCloud or some other, that disables your pop ac on everything. Plus, if you go back to Yahoo and uncheck the forwarding option (thus checking pop) you can't get back in even though their instructions say you can.

So forwarding through iCloud works just fine now that I have it working in MAIL. Whew!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.