failed hard drive.

Reaction score
how do i install lion on a new hard drive. Every person including mac support has told me to upgrade from leopard. My hard drive crashed and died. I need to clean install. Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that we need to know more about your computer (specs)…so we can verify that it can run "Lion" (OS 10.7).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, if it was an OS upgrade, then you will need to install Snow Leopard before you can upgrade to Lion.

Great answer (assuming the OP's computer can run Lion).:)

@juan gallo: As "ferrarr" mentioned…you need to install Snow Leopard first…in order to have access to the "Mac App Store". The Mac App Store is where you download "Lion". This of course assumes that your computer can run Lion.

Here's the purchase link for Snow Leopard (OS 10.6):

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Modified based on Nick's post below - thanks Nick...

Once you have installed 10.6, you'll need to head back to the Apple store online to purchase with 10.7 or 10.8.

Both have been removed from the App store for everyone that has not previously purchased them, both of them can be purchased direct from Apple but you will need to have Snow Leopard installed and upgraded to a minimum of 10.6.6 before you can download them from the App store.

Same $20 price

OS X Lion (10.7) - Apple Store (U.S.)
OS X Mountain Lion - Apple Store (U.S.)

Reaction score
Fresh Install Lion OSX on New HDD?

how do i install lion on a new hard drive. Every person including mac support has told me to upgrade from leopard. My hard drive crashed and died. I need to clean install. Thanks

First of all you probably dont need a new drive. Backup your drive or if dead and unrecoverable format the old disk (I use OSX Journaled). Then download Lion from App Store but dont click continue when the download completes.

Download Lion Diskmaker DiskMaker X and insert a USB drive It will "see" the OSX Lion installer in Downloads and the drive and direct you to make the USB Installer.

Then insert the key in the machine, hold alt at startup after the bong, select the usb key as boot option, run disk utility `(if you havent formatted the HDD) - if you have proceed with Lion install as normal.

Hope this is of some help, pm me if you get stuck.

Details matter, it’s worth waiting to get it right. - Steve Jobs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since both Lion and Mountain Lion have been removed from the App store for everyone that has not previously purchased them, both of them can be purchased direct from Apple without the need for purchasing Snow Leopard first.

Same $20 price

Tom,

You're right.:) Both Lion and Mountain Lion can no longer be purchased directly via the Mac App Store. But the Mac App Store is still needed to download the OS installers (after purchase from the links you mentioned).

I purchased Lion from the same Apple link you mentioned above back in November. After purchase...Apple sends the buyer two e-mails.

- The first e-mail contains a code to that unlocks a PDF document.
- The 2nd e-mail (the PDF document)...is unlocked with the code from e-mail one...and contains a redemption code for the Mac App Store.

Here's a statement that is contained in one of the e-mails:

"To redeem your software, your authorized end users will need an Apple ID account, obtained through the Mac App Store. If you do not have the Mac App Store application, it is available as a software update for any Mac running Mac OS X Snow Leopard or later, at http://www.apple.com/mac/app-store/."

Here's a statement that is inside the PDF document:

"Apple software is now available on the Mac App Store, making it easier than ever to distribute your software purchases to your authorized end users. To install your software, you simply launch the Mac App Store, click "Redeem"• found under Quick Links and enter your content code(s). The content codes from your purchase are attached to this email. You will receive a second email with a passcode to unlock the file containing the content codes. Before distributing these content codes, please read the Content Code Terms and Conditions found below.

To redeem your software, your authorized end users will need an Apple ID account, obtained through the Mac App Store. If you do not have an Apple ID or have questions about your Apple ID, please visit https://appleid.apple.com."

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Looks like Mr. Gallo has hung this thread out to dry. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like Mr. Gallo has hung this thread out to dry. ;)

Maybe our replies answered all questions. But it is always nice to hear back from them to see if things worked out.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.