Should I jail break my iPad 1 now that there are no future updates to its IOS?

Reaction score
I have an iPad 1 and never jail broke it because I didn't want to hassle when Apple rolled out an update. Anyway, since 5.1.1 is as far as Apple is going with the iPad 1 I'm wondering if I should jail break it now.

I have a few questions please...

1) Is there any downside now to jail breaking an iPad 1?

2) Can I still get apps from the App Store after jail breaking?

3) I need to access an Apple Airport Time Capsule with the Airport Utility app but the Airport Utility app won't work on an iPad 1. Will the latest version of the Airport Utility app work on a jail broken iPad 1?

Thank you very much! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2013 (10.12.4), iPad 5th gen (10.3.1)
I never used an Apple product except for my Macbook Air, but my friend used an iPhone 4S, so I'm going to convey his story in the eye of an outsider, but he's not tech savvy, so I was kinda managing his phone.

He did not have any performance/stability issue after jailbreaking. But he did not use any advantages of jailbreaking for that time, except for sideloading apps (An Android term, not sure if it applies for iOS, but basically he used some pirated apps). I think it was called Cydia or something like that. I'm not sure about the security part though, after all, you are using a modified app on a modified OS. I'd add some nasty stuff if I was a cracker.

Then he discovered that he could do more than sideloading apps. He added new gestures, new look&feel, new Settings options... Basically, he just transformed his phone. I must say, he really had fun with his phone. Before he discovered this, he didn't use his phone much.

But then instability started. Those apps started to crash, the phone froze frequently, he had problems with calls... He had enough when his phone froze at least 4 times a day, then lost most of his data.

He could browse and buy/download apps from App Store. He could update the apps. And I'm not sure, but he actually got an iOS update while his phone was jailbroken. Of course, that broke jailbreak. And he could restore his phone to the first-day state, using the backup he had just before jailbreaking the phone.

I'm not sure about your third question. I was not aware of such app, neither did my friend.

But wait for second opinion before doing anything. After all, I've never used a tablet, let alone an iPad :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would trade in the iPad 1 on a new one this is exactly what I did at Best Buy since things became more evident that it was at end of life and the iPad 2 will probably experience this sometime within the year.
If you like your Pad then you will absolutely love the iPad Air.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Best Buy accepts trade ins when buying a new iPad Air from them? I wasn't aware they did that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
If you go from a 1st Gen iPad to an iPad Air, it will blow your mind. I did that and it was just unbelievable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Best Buy accepts trade ins when buying a new iPad Air from them? I wasn't aware they did that.

Went to the counter they checked out my iPad 1 gave me a reward zone card went straight over to the iPads gave them the card and paid the difference imo it was a trade in for the most part.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks. I was curious because I didn't know that they did that. The rewards card of course is just like receiving credit but must be applied to a Best Buy purchase.

OP
M
Reaction score
How much credit did Best Buy give you for your iPad 1?

I would trade in the iPad 1 on a new one this is exactly what I did at Best Buy since things became more evident that it was at end of life and the iPad 2 will probably experience this sometime within the year.
If you like your Pad then you will absolutely love the iPad Air.

And in a nutshell, what are the main differences? Is the iPad Air the same thing as what Apple is calling the iPad 2?

If you go from a 1st Gen iPad to an iPad Air, it will blow your mind. I did that and it was just unbelievable.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
M
Reaction score
When I said "iPad 2" I wasn't referring to the second generation iPad but on Apples iPad page they are selling the iPad Air and the iPad 2. I was wondering what the difference is between the iPad Air and what Apple is calling the iPad 2. I will look at that page. Thanks.

The full-sized iPad models are (chronologically):

- iPad 1
- iPad 2
- iPad 3
- iPad 4
- iPad Air

As you can see...the iPad Air is well removed (evolutionarily speaking) from the iPad 2.

If you want to know more...head here for more info:

Apple iPad Specs (All iPad Technical Specifications) @ EveryiPad.com

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Really? Wow that is amazing that they still have a glut of old iPad 2's laying around. Okay, so the latest, greatest iPad is the iPad Air, right?

Made way too many of them, and now they're not selling as fast as the better ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once you pick up the Air and use it your interest in any pad before it goes away quickly.
Noticeably lighter and faster.
The amount they give you is based on condition and size (storage 16,32 etc etc)
I traded mine last year for the iPad 4 and will do it again on next release although i would like to get the Air and may still yet.

C

chas_m

Made way too many of them, and now they're not selling as fast as the better ones.

This is simply not correct. The reason the iPad 2 is still in production is because THOUSANDS of schools have contracts for iPads, and those contracts call for them to be replaced like for like if they break or fail etc.

Thus, Apple continues to make the iPad 2 for the millions of units in the hands of institutions, primarily. They are also offered as a compatible but low-cost option for people who don't want to buy the iPad Air.

The third- and fourth-gen models are MUCH HEAVIER than the iPad 2 and current iPad Air, so I am not at all surprised they no longer sell them. I love my third-gen iPad, but compared to an Air ... well let's just say there's a reason they named it the Air.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Reaction score
The third- and fourth-gen models are MUCH HEAVIER than the iPad 2 and current iPad Air, so I am not at all surprised they no longer sell them.

I think they are about 2 or 3 ounces heavier. Like 15 oz vs 12 oz. for iPad 2. To me it's noticeable but not extreme. The Surface Pro 2 is 2.5 lbs. That would be fairly described as MUCH HEAVIER.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now the iPad2 is being replaced with the iPad4.

C

chas_m

Yes, an interesting choice. I guess the economies of scale made the iPad 4th gen the best replacement choice, since it can do Siri and has a Lightning connector and handles the newest OS much better ... a lot of schools are going to be delighted to get "upgrades" when their iPad 2s give up the ghost ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.