Mavericks Dictionary making every word selectable

OP
E
Reaction score
I tried with the info.plist and when it was removed, Dictionary wouldn't open (gives me a "Dictionary quit unexpectedly" error message). So I tried putting the info.plist back into the app, which I did, but it still won't open.

So I tried restoring it from Time Machine, but that also won't let me because it says something like "Dictionary can't be modified because it is required by the system". So....

OP
E
Reaction score
Ok, just rebooted and it's working again, but still with black text.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well my friend, I'm about out of ideas on this one. I'll try to do some experimenting on my own to see if I can duplicate what you're experiencing and get back to you in this same thread if I can come up with a positive answer. I'm sure that it's something very simple that we're overlooking.

One other thing I was going to suggest but it will involve some work... is to download and install the combined Mavericks update. The combined update includes 10.9.1 and 10.9.2 together. It's quite large though and may take some time to download and install. It may or may not solve the problem so it's up to you whether or not to give it a try.

Here's the download link.

OP
E
Reaction score
I'm already up to date with 10.9.2 but will try downloading the update nonetheless to see if it fixes anything, or if I can replace my existing Dictionary with the update's copy.

Thanks for all your help!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is it possible that a font has somehow gotten corrupted? Maybe you checked that and I missed it.

Reaction score
The font your dictionary app is using (should be Helvetica 12 pt) is not even the normal system font, bold or not.
Except for the all-bold sample, the screen grabs look exactly as do mine. Dictionary was never Helvetica.

Reaction score
Try this: Right-click or Control-click on the Dictionary app, and choose 'Show Package Contents' from the pop-up menu, then navigate into Contents/Resources. In that folder, open the the DefaultStyle.css file in TextEdit.

The relevant part (at the top) should look like this:
html {
font-family:'Baskerville';
font-weight:normal;
font-size: medium;​

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Kudos for that info. Never occurred to me to do that.

OP
E
Reaction score
Happy to help, but I sure would like to hear from ebsseattle, to see if it works.

I just got back home, tried what you suggested, and was disappointed when the HTML section of the CSS file was identical to what you posted. Then, when I realized it was the Baskerville font that Dictionary was using I checked in Font Book and found that, for some reason, Baskerville regular was turned off. Turning it on got Dictionary back to normal.

Thanks for your help though. It led me in the right direction.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.