Clean the ID TOUCH butten

Reaction score
ive got iPhone 5S, and lataley the home buttun/ID TOUCH makes me some problem.
it doent recognize my fingerprint.
I delet the old finger print and put new one but its still makes me troubles.

So i want to clean the home butten.
How should clean it?

It will help?

thx

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It may or may not work. The fingerprint identifier for the iPhone 5s has been troublesome for many folks. Even the editors at Macworld Magazine had difficulty getting it to work properly. My advice is to go ahead and clean it, use a new print maybe with a different finger. If that doesn't work, don't use it at all. Just use your Pin # to unlock the phone.

OP
L
Reaction score
ok..
SO how should I clean it?
with some spray or something like that?
or just with cloth?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, definitely not a spray. Use a soft lens cleaning cloth and no water or liquid!

C

chas_m

For the record, I've had my iPhone 5s since December. No issues with the Touch ID button at all.

When I recorded my fingerprints, my hands were clean. They largely stay clean in a typical day, but I do wash them periodically if they don't. I've done nothing special to the screen or button of the iPhone other than occasionally clean it as chscag describes above. The only time I ever get a "try again" is when I'm using my finger or thumb at an odd angle.

Another tip, based on observed usage of others: Don't press down on the button, this isn't necessary and in fact may be causing your issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is it that you want to restore? Are you talking about restoring the entire phone as in doing a reset thru iTunes?

OP
L
Reaction score
my question is,
If I will restore my iPhone {via iTunes}
will it be helpful to my problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think resetting your iPhone will help with the fingerprint detector. As I stated in my first reply, lots of folks have had problems with the fingerprint ID. It's something you'll have to adjust for. Try other fingers until you get one that works best.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.