Temporary Antivirus Solution For Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2013 (10.12.4), iPad 5th gen (10.3.1)
Hi,
I got a USB disc from one of my professors, which is infected by a virus.
The virus and a software he used to protect his USB disc contents made the whole disk content invisible to him, to everyone who doesn't use Linux.
My Mac also couldn't see the contents.

But I thought Android is a Linux based OS and tried the USB disc on my phone. I am able to see the contents now (Deleted the application folder, renamed the content folders etc.)

Now I know the files have the virus. I can't risk any other Windows computer just to get the files.

So, I wonder if any of the Mac antivirus software (preferably free, of course) can detect Windows specific viruses and other kinds of malware.

Thanks in advance, because I have always got at least one useful answer so far :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2013 (10.12.4), iPad 5th gen (10.3.1)
Sorry for asking it too early: 12 Antivirus Apps for the Mac | PCMag.com
My search keywords returned only security section of Mac and Windows comparisons :)

Anyway, I'd normally say please delete this one but maybe another person needs to know the same thing in the future. There are some Mac antivirus softwares which can also detect Windows malware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well as Mac AV software only uses Windows data bases, they should all be able to detect Windows viruses.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Well as Mac AV software only uses Windows data bases, they should all be able to detect Windows viruses.
Their databases may be sensational but they certainly do scan for Mac malware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.