MAGSAFE damaged?? HELP!

Reaction score
Hi. i boutght this (Late 11' MBP 13") item has less than a week of use since it arrived last friday 02-21, the Magsafe adapter stopped working normally on sunday Feb 23rd. The laptop was left on by saturday night (Feb 22nd) downloading an OS update and next day (sunday Feb 23rd) it showed like it was not connected. Didn't recognized the power adapter for a long while, then it did, then again when it was unplugged, didn't recognized it again. The laptop was off for about a day, then plugged up again last night (Feb 24th) and it recognized the power adapter, then unplugged it to check it was an isolated incident, but No, it did NOT recognized the Magsafe again, so the fail persists. Please I'd like your help about this. I already tried to reset de PRAM, SMC (but don't know if it has indeed reseted) and tried to update SMC and EFI but one of them told me that the software was incorrect for the hardware. Please help me, I want to completely Enjoy my Mac :(

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Did you purchase this as a new or used MBP? If new, then you should promptly take it back to the nearest Apple Store and have them take a look at it..

If it is used, does it still have AppleCare by any chance? If so, you can still take it to the Apple Store and have them look at it, if not, you might want to contact the seller and see if they had any issues with the Magsafe charger..

OP
T
Reaction score
No my friend, I bought it as a GOOD condition item on amazon, besides I'm out of the stated by now, so warranty is not possible. I contacted the seller and he told me that it was because I updated to Mavericks, but the failure began Before the download was over, so it had the previous OS yet. He told me I had to update the firmware at apple site, but don't really know where else to look since I downloaded some EFI and SMC stuff from the site and -think- for the first one it told me that there was no hardware compatibility with that version of the software.

No other comments whatsoever regarding the plug or some soft/firmware cause? I may think it's a firmware/corrupted software stuff since as I told you, I came to work all day yesterday and when I returned home last night just plugged it (while still OFF) and it Did began to charge. Turned it on a while later and worked nicely, but when I unplugged it, it didn't recognized the power cord again. That's the weard stuff.

BTW I tried also plugging it to a UPS and nothing, didn't wanted to charge again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.