Keeping unread messages bold while scrolling through a list of messages

Reaction score
I use classic view for Apple Mail. The problem is that when I cursor down through a bunch of unread mail in my inbox, as soon as I cursor over an unread message it clicks off the bold as if it's been read. In Outlook there is a function to set how much time you can pause over a message while scrolling the inbox before it marks it as read. Is there such a feature in Apple mail?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open Mail, select preferences, click on the viewing tab, and check off which options that you wish to be applied. And yes, as soon as you place the cursor on any unread message, mail considers that message to be read. There is no adjustment as far as I know for the time as there is in Outlook and Thunderbird.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks very much. Not the answer I was hoping for, but it's nice to know what limitations I have to settle with. Seems like a no-brainer feature, surprised they wouldn't have the functionality.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Scroll up and down through them instead of using the cursor and you won't have to worry about it.

If you just have to select and use the cursor, there's a plugin if you need a GUI or you can adjust the time via the terminal - here's how.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks. Not sure I know how to use the "terminal" function, but will try to figure that out as that seems the best option. It appears the TruePreview isn't yet ready for Mavericks version of OS X.

OP
J
Reaction score
bobtomay

Tried opening Terminal and just putting in that code at the quote line that opened, didn't work. Also tried opening "new command" from Terminal and putting the delay command in that way and still didn't work. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?? Many thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Read the last line on that page and follow the link.

My best suggestion is still to quit selecting them and scroll instead - problem gone.

Sorry, but I have no other ideas except to continue searching google - how I found that one.

OP
J
Reaction score
appreciate taking the time to get back again on this thread. Agree, scrolling helps ensure I don't "de-bold" them en-mass, but if I do click on one and then delete it, the cursor jumps to the next message and de-bolds that one, whether I plan on reading it now or not. Any rate, thanks the help and will continue searching Google. Oh how nice if Apple would just invest a bit into this program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.