Dust/Spots on iPhone 5 pictures

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
A few months ago I took a picture with my iPhone 5 and noticed several spots on my images. I figured I just needed to clean the lens, but after doing that I'm still seeing spots. I'm not a pro photographer, but it is a hobby and I know how to clean a lens...so I know the problem isn't my cleaning technique.

Here's a picture showing what I'm talking about:
6sBKo4rl.jpg

The four out-of-focus grey circles are obvious...but there are also two other spots near the paperclip that are in every picture (those are not pieces of dust on the paper).

How easy is it to take the phone apart and clean the lens from the inside? I've done work on iPhones before and am fairly confident in my ability to disassemble and reassemble the phone...just wondering if it's worth the hassle. The spots are not obvious in most pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
If it is still covered under Apple Care, make an appointment at your local Apple Store and they will replace it for free. I had a spot of dust under my iPhone 5 lens and they swapped it out for me in the store in less than 10 minutes.

OP
AUZambo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it is still covered under Apple Care, make an appointment at your local Apple Store and they will replace it for free. I had a spot of dust under my iPhone 5 lens and they swapped it out for me in the store in less than 10 minutes.

I may go by and see what they can do, but it will be a last resort because my phone is jailbroken and I don't want to restore it for the visit to the Apple store...then rejailbreak it when I get back home (assuming they don't replace it). Plus I never buy insurance/warranties on technology. I bought the phone in October of 2012, so I'm sure that whatever warranty it did have has expired.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I bought the phone in October of 2012, so I'm sure that whatever warranty it did have has expired.

The iPhone warranty is for one year unless you purchased Apple Care. However, Apple may replace it for you anyway. But since you're concerned about the jail break and have experience taking the phone apart, you can probably clean the lens yourself. Take apart instructions are available at ifixit.com in case you need them.

OP
AUZambo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iPhone warranty is for one year unless you purchased Apple Care. However, Apple may replace it for you anyway. But since you're concerned about the jail break and have experience taking the phone apart, you can probably clean the lens yourself. Take apart instructions are available at ifixit.com in case you need them.

Thanks. I'll check that out....just gotta find one of those pesky pentalobe screwdrivers.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Home Depot and Lowes both sell pentalobe screwdriver sets. I also believe the Ace Hardware Chain sells them but at a slightly higher cost.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.