This is so ridiculus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG
I'm so angry.

I spend a week getting the tools and parts I need to repair my iBook.
Open it up, I can't even take out the screws without them getting stripped, and they're in there so tight, and the metal is so **** cheap.

I can't even take them out to work on my iBook. I have no idea what to do now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
is this a new or used ibook?

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Used 600 g3.
got it off ebay couple months ago.

the inverter board when out on it, and i got the new part to install, but i can't get in the **** thing bc the screws are too tight, and one was stripped in the RAM shield, so i can't get it out, and there's another one I stripped on accident.

Honestly, the metal of the screws are so cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
iphix said:
Used 600 g3.
got it off ebay couple months ago.

the inverter board when out on it, and i got the new part to install, but i can't get in the **** thing bc the screws are too tight, and one was stripped in the RAM shield, so i can't get it out, and there's another one I stripped on accident.

Honestly, the metal of the screws are so cheap.

I don't know what to tell you - I don't have an iBook around, so I'm unsure how common the screws are to replace, if they get stripped. Saw this on eBay:
http://search.ebay.com/ibook-screws_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1
good luck :)

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
deus_ex_machina said:
I don't know what to tell you - I don't have an iBook around, so I'm unsure how common the screws are to replace, if they get stripped. Saw this on eBay:
http://search.ebay.com/ibook-screws_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1
good luck :)

that's nice and all, but that isn't the point.
i can't get the screws OUT to replace the inverter board.

it really has me down. I want to smash it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
iphix said:
that's nice and all, but that isn't the point.
i can't get the screws OUT to replace the inverter board.

it really has me down. I want to smash it.
Well we're sorry if Apple made the computer sturdy:p

Joking aside, make sure you have the correct size screw driver. Be patient with it and don't force your way in, that's a sure way to break it.

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Benjamindaines said:
Well we're sorry if Apple made the computer sturdy:p

Joking aside, make sure you have the correct size screw driver. Be patient with it and don't force your way in, that's a sure way to break it.

Well, they could've made it sturdy with quality screws - No joke

And trust me, i've got the right sized screwdriver and the right sized torx.
i would be sturdy with it, but there is no way i can get this screw out, i'm stuck.
and i really want to use my ibook.

it's actually making me kind of sad. I used money for parts, etc. And I can't use them.

And this isn't just me with this problem, i've looked at a lot of forums, sites and a lot of people had the same problem, 'cept they have newer computers, so they more than likely turn it into apple and have the repair it for free, but that's also minimal, because most apple people blame it on you for damaging their lame screws.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, one thing to keep in mind is that the iBooks were never intended on being end user-servicable. Period. For this reason iBooks are put together in such a manner not only for the asthetics of design, but also to discourage "tinkering".

Still, I have taken apart iBooks in the past and I find that a battery-powered driver works best. It has more torque than you would be able to get with just your hands, and still isn't so powerful as to ruin the screws. I would suggest getting your hands on one of them and giving it a go with that.

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anyone know what I can do about trying to get the stripped screws out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Grab the head with pliers and turn?

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
Grab the head with pliers and turn?

lol, i couldn't get a grip on that tny thing with pliers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What I have done many times is use a real small Jewelers Screwdriver and pry under the screw and then use another driver to screw it out. It's always worked for me on screws like that.

I will almost BET someone else has been in there at one time and stripped out the screws as I doubt it came that way brand new. It will take a REAL small tipped driver. Work it around and pry up will turning the screw out.

Hope that helps.

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis7 said:
What I have done many times is use a real small Jewelers Screwdriver and pry under the screw and then use another driver to screw it out. It's always worked for me on screws like that.

I will almost BET someone else has been in there at one time and stripped out the screws as I doubt it came that way brand new. It will take a REAL small tipped driver. Work it around and pry up will turning the screw out.

Hope that helps.

Tell me if this sounds like a dumb idea.
but i thought about using a small rod and some jb weld on the screw, and try turing it with pliers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
powdered graphite. They make it to stick in locks to lubricate them, but it also works with stripped screws. You basically spray the graphite onto the top of the screw, and it fills in the stripped parts and makes it easy to turn, make sure you push the screwdriver all the way down into the graphite, and turn SLOWLY, and it should work.

I did this when I had a stereo go out on me with screws that were inside the hole making it impossible to use anything else, took a while but I got the screws out

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hondagus87 said:
powdered graphite. They make it to stick in locks to lubricate them, but it also works with stripped screws. You basically spray the graphite onto the top of the screw, and it fills in the stripped parts and makes it easy to turn, make sure you push the screwdriver all the way down into the graphite, and turn SLOWLY, and it should work.

I did this when I had a stereo go out on me with screws that were inside the hole making it impossible to use anything else, took a while but I got the screws out

ok, thanks.
i might try that/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
iphix said:
Tell me if this sounds like a dumb idea.
but i thought about using a small rod and some jb weld on the screw, and try turing it with pliers.

That could work. The iBook's (and PowerBook) screws are very tiny.
The quality of the metal isn't any cheaper than that of other manufacturers, it's just that with such tiny screws you have to make sure to have the right kind of screwdriver, and be a bit more carefull than usual.
I've dismantled a few iBooks and PowerBooks, and have put them back together without damaging a screw.
The best thing is when you notice a screw that sits too tight, apply some pressure on the screwdriver, and SLOWLY try to turn.

Check www.pbfixit.com for a new set of screws.

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Avalon said:
That could work. The iBook's (and PowerBook) screws are very tiny.
The quality of the metal isn't any cheaper than that of other manufacturers, it's just that with such tiny screws you have to make sure to have the right kind of screwdriver, and be a bit more carefull than usual.
I've dismantled a few iBooks and PowerBooks, and have put them back together without damaging a screw.
The best thing is when you notice a screw that sits too tight, apply some pressure on the screwdriver, and SLOWLY try to turn.

Check www.pbfixit.com for a new set of screws.

i have both the torx 8 and the #0 screwdriver that pbfixit recommended.
it's even the professional kind by craftsman with the knob on the end of the handle that turns, but it still managed to strip it.

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I GOT IT!!!!!111!!
IG OT ITTTTTTT!!!1!!

I just pressed really hard and turned, and it finally gave in
WOOT

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, looks like I forgot to get a spudger.
I don't see any place that sells them 'cept online

I figured wal-mart would have them.
Do you guys know?

Or know if anything that would take the place of a spudger.

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read that you can use a credit card to get it off.

Man, i've been trying for the longest **** time.
I can't get it off. And I feel like i'm breaking it while trying to get it off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.