How to View Magazine Subscriptions on OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.1 ghz i5, 12 gb 1333 mhz & iPhone 4s
I personally don't use digital magazines yet, but my brother has a couple. To date he has purchased them on his iPhone using the native news-stand app, but really wants to view the magazines on his mac.

I assumed the new iBooks app on mavericks would solve this issue, but he is telling me that his books are available but not his magazines..

Any advice on how he could accomplish this?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use Zinio

I came across Zinio in a Google search...

It will open subscriptions made through the app on the iPhone?

and is Zinio in the Mac App store?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It will open subscriptions made through the app on the iPhone?

and is Zinio in the Mac App store?

Zinio is not in the Mac App Store, however, it's found in the iTunes App Store, and yes you can read subscriptions on your iPhone and iPad that you paid for thru Zinio. As far as I'm aware, the only magazine subscriptions that I can read on my Mac are those which make themselves available for the Mac. Macworld, MacLife are two that can be read on your Mac as an example. There are many others also, you just have to inquire if a digital subscription is available when you subscribe.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Zinio is not in the Mac App Store, however, it's found in the iTunes App Store, and yes you can read subscriptions on your iPhone and iPad that you paid for thru Zinio.

This confuses me a little.. he's looking to read his subscriptions on his Mac.. not a mobile device.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This confuses me a little.. he's looking to read his subscriptions on his Mac.. not a mobile device.

See above, I added to my post.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See above, I added to my post.

Thanks. Sounds like he's out of luck on this then.

It's disappointing. Personally I abandoned iBooks some time ago because none of them worked on the mac. I understand that they will now.. but they're 3 years behind Amazon on making that a reality. Pretty sad.

Guess he won't be buying any more magazines through Apple either. It makes zero sense. If it can work on iOS then why not on the Mac?

Disappointing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I use Zinio also, but to view magazines with it, they must be purchased through Zinio online. That said, I find it a wonderful app and you can get it both for IOS and OSX. Letting you use it on your tablet or phone and desktop all at the same time.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use Zinio also, but to view magazines with it, they must be purchased through Zinio online. That said, I find it a wonderful app and you can get it both for IOS and OSX. Letting you use it on your tablet or phone and desktop all at the same time.

I will suggest that as perhaps the best solution for his future purchases.. thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.