Lost 'authorization' of MBA to iTunes, etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
Good morning!

I plugged my iPhone 4S into my MBA (running latest Mavericks) this morning and noticed an IOS upgrade was available so I clicked it. I then received a pop-up that said:

The purchased item XXXXX on the iPhone “pr's iPhone” could not be transferred to your iTunes library because you are not authorized for it on this computer.

Would you like to authorize this computer for items purchased from the iTunes Store?

Of course, so I proceeded. I then got another popup, entered my password and the password failed. I tried again, and again, it failed.

Then this pops up...This computer is no longer authorized for apps that are installed on the iPhone “pr's iPhone”. Would you like to authorize this computer for items purchased from the iTunes Store?

Below that a 'threat' that 67 of my apps will be wiped off the phone if I don't authorize this computer.

I then cancelled out, rebooted, and started again. Same thing. I even changed my iTunes/Apple Store password and tried again.. I finally received a pop up saying that this computer and one other are already authorized (I thought I had this figured out now) . But when I attempted, again, to transfer the purchases I've made on my iPhone into iTunes, this whole scenario started over.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance, as always. :)

Cheers!

Pat

PS--- Could my recent 'clean install' of Mavericks have caused this authorization problem?

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It gets weirder.....

I re-read my first post and I think I may need to clarify a little to make my problem a little more understandable.....

1) I received notice that there is an IOS update and wished to do so.
2) I plugged in my iPhone and received a pop up box that I needed to transfer some purchases into iTunes or they'd be erased. I tried that but was told "I am not authorized".
3) I click on the Authorize button, and a pop up with my "backup" email address in my Apple Account comes up (I have no clue why that addy comes up and not my main me.com addy does). I erase that, enter my me.com email addy, fill in the password and receive....
4) This computer is already authorized.
5) I click OK, and the box that says "You are not authorized" pops right back up again.

Over and over and over.....

I found a previous thread here from bobtomay and I followed the advice there, even going into Finder and removing a file called SC info under /users/shared/

Again, no luck.

Not having the latest IOS on my phone is not a problem....I can certainly wait until I get this problem solved. I am wondering if the recent (last week) clean install of Mavericks did something or I have a box checked (or unchecked) in some menu somewhere?

TIA!

Cheers!

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Did you use the same user id and password on iTunes that you set the phone up with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have gotten this Message, saying your iPhone will be wiped and synced with this Library. Don't worry about it, and just click on the yes/ok/continue button, and it will sync as usual. Im not sure why this happens, but it doesn't wipe the iPhone (well it didn't on mine) and it just synced with it as it should of.

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSXX:

Yes, I used my one and only email and password. I still have no clue why it brings up my "emergency" email instead of the e-mail addy I've been using for 4 years. ????

And to TM!

I will do as you say. If I 'lose' 67 apps, so be it....that'll make the iPhone a lot LIGHTER in my pocket and if I need to, I'll just re-install them. :)

Thanks to both of you!

Cheers!

Pat

I'll let you two know how it went tomorrow... time for bed...long day tomorrow.

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey TM!

I did what you suggested, just ignored the 'threat' of having 67 or so apps wiped off, just clicked continue and you are right, it synched right up without a hitch. Strange stuff. :)

Thanks!

Cheers!

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hey TM!

I did what you suggested, just ignored the 'threat' of having 67 or so apps wiped off, just clicked continue and you are right, it synched right up without a hitch. Strange stuff. :)

Thanks!

Cheers!

Pat

Good to hear Pat. It really has me buggered why it does it, and i really couldn't be bothered to find out. I was getting heart palpitations the first time I clicked "continue" but when it synced OK i was right and went on with life.

Its one of those little things was only me, but i'll send off a bug report to Apple now, knowing its a wider community thing :)

Cheers

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey TM!

Thanks, man!

It's not a big thing, considering what else is happening right now (I guess you could call it "The Breach") but I appreciate you sending it to Apple so when the current problem is solved and the engineers are just sitting around with little to do, they'll have something else to tackle! :)

Cheers!

Pat

Heading out to dl the patch....just finished a TM backup and a CCC backup.... just in case! ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.