password protected

Reaction score
if my computer, macpro and macbook pro, are password protected cant some one just replace the hard drive and therefore it would be like getting a new computer without a password. i mean isnt that where your password is located.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
You are correct.
Only way to prevent that is use a firmware password.
I don't know if many people use that approach though.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
H
Reaction score
interesting. firmware password. just like the iphones have. that would make the computer useless to most people that would steal it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
interesting. firmware password. just like the iphones have. that would make the computer useless to most people that would steal it.

Yes...and it makes the computer useless to you as well if you forget it. It's happened before!;)

Lots of "How do I reset my firmware password?" threads.;)

And if it's newer Apple computer...the firmware password is no longer user-resettable (if forgotten). And...Apple will not reset it for you unless you have a valid purchase receipt.

Using a firmware password is something that should be considered very very carefully before using one.

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
ok. then its really not something you want to mess with unless you really feel the need for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Spot on hotrod. As Nick says many, many posts about trying to get around file vault.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
ok. then its really not something you want to mess with unless you really feel the need for it.

Yes...sort of a big headache if you set a firmware password...then forget it. Security has it's "up's & down's".;)

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
wouldnt mind trying it on a older computer just to see the ups and downs and to figure out how to get past it, or around it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's easy to get around on an older machine, however, since 2011 and later, the firmware password is set into ROM. And the only folks who can clear it out are Apple techs. We just went through a rather long thread with a fellow who had to dig up his bill of sale before Apple would remove the firmware password for him.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.