Safari won't 'Save as'

Reaction score
When I try to 'Save As' a downloaded pdf file (readable on screen) it just leaves an empty document on the desktop. I think this started with Os X.8.5.
Is there a fix for this please? Paul

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I usually just rename the PDF file before it's downloaded or rename it after it's downloaded. I'm not sure why you would want to "save as" a PDF file you're downloading from the net? I routinely download and rename PDF files of my accounts from my bank using that method.

If you give me an example of a file you're trying to download, I'll test it to see if I can save as rather than save or rename and save.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks Chscag but actually I've jut followed the advice given by Barrygou and it worked! I chucked out the Adobe plug-in (AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin from the library/internet plugins) and now it saves straight to disk! No problem. It's obviously a Safari weakness. Many thanks. Paul

C

chas_m

Er ... if throwing out an ADOBE plug-in fixed the issue, how exactly is this a SAFARI weakness??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with member chas_m. The Adobe Plug-in completely takes over the viewing and presenting of PDFs. This is another one of those bad habits left over from Windows where folks think they absolutely must have Adobe to view PDFs. It's not needed in Windows nor is it needed in OS X. Preview does a much better job and is already built into OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.