Calendar Sync To Android

Reaction score
Just got a Mac Pro last night! Excited! I searched the forum and could not find an answer to this question. Is there an app that will allow me to sync my Galaxy S3 to Apple Calendar without the cloud? I read a thread on the ethical/practical issues of the cloud, that is not what I want to do here. I want to sync via usb/wifi/bluetooth, preferably usb.

Reaction score
Got gmail? You can sync Calendar to your gmail account, which syncs to your android.

Reaction score
Far as I know that's the only way, unless Airdroid can do it. But still "cloud".

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I really do love this Mac. It's my first one. Wanted one for a long time, just couldn't get the money.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If your calendar is available both on your Android device and in a browser through google.com - it's too late - you are already using the Cloud.

OP
M
Reaction score
I never set up a calendar on Google. I had a third party app that allowed me to sync usb from cell to PC. I was hoping something like that was available for Mac.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Whatever calendar app you're using on Android - need to see if they have something similar to sync it to OS X instead of Windows.

If you are using the native Android app 'Calendar' and have your gmail account listed in there - you're likely already in the Cloud whether you've used it to sync or not.

C

chas_m

Yeah, saying "I don't want to use the cloud" is rapidly becoming a bit like "I don't want to use electricity."

The fact that you have a Gmail account at all means you are already a "cloud user." Perhaps there is a way to sync your calendar data locally, but that's not going to keep you out of the cloud. Heck, if you're using Google Now, you're already TELLING Google what you're doing/where you're going every day!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, I don't use calendar apps, so I just tested it on my Nexus 7.

Added a test event in the Calendar on my Nexus, then logged into my gmail account in a browser on my Mac - went to the Calendar and sure enough there it was - in the cloud.

edit:
Just got a notification that it has been synced to my Mac now also.
Of course, I've had that checked in iCloud, even though I don't use calendars for scheduling events.

C

chas_m

What's that you say Tom? Android (created by Google) automatically syncing to Google services without telling the user? WELL I NEVAH! :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What's that you say Tom? Android (created by Google) automatically syncing to Google services without telling the user? WELL I NEVAH! :)
It's no more hidden than it is in iOS:

2014-02-22 21.34.32.png

Screenshot_2014-02-22-21-32-53.png

Let me rephrase that for you: "What's that you say Tom? Mobile operating systems (created by everyone) automatically syncing to their respective services and giving the user the option to turn them on and off? WELL I NEVAH! :)"

C

chas_m

I'm making the assumption that Tom, who appears to know what he's doing :), didn't turn on the syncing manually and that it is a default. If I'm mistaken, so be it ... but on iOS you have to manually turn it on, it's not on by default.

OP
M
Reaction score
I broke down and started a Google account for calendar. Everything goes from Google to Mac and phone fine. But nothing goes from the phone out to Google.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm making the assumption that Tom, who appears to know what he's doing :), didn't turn on the syncing manually and that it is a default.
When you set up a new account on Android:

Screenshot_2014-02-22-22-30-52.png

If I'm mistaken, so be it ... but on iOS you have to manually turn it on, it's not on by default.
Except that it is on by default:

2014-02-22 22.36.42.png

A genuine question: do you own an Android device? I'm going to guess that you don't (especially since you're quite anti-Google which is just an observation) because you seem to have quite a few false understandings of how Android works. Remember - most mobile operating systems work in the exact same way 95% of the time. iOS is no different.

I broke down and started a Google account for calendar. Everything goes from Google to Mac and phone fine. But nothing goes from the phone out to Google.
Did you set up syncing on your phone? Is your account set to sync calendars?

OP
M
Reaction score
I downloaded the Google calendar app and set in to sync calendars on phone, but that appears just to be between the ones on the phone. They sync instantly both ways. (Google cal. and the S3 calendar). But it is bedtime. Something to do after church tomorrow night. Thanks for the help and any other suggestions.

C

chas_m

Except that it is on by default

Except that this is not true. Syncing is turned on manually, unless the user agrees to have iCloud syncing turned on.

Question: Do you own an iOS device? Cuz I can pull screenshots from the web just like you can.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mark, when I tested it yesterday...

I was logged into my gmail account at the time I created the test event on my Nexus.
It didn't seem to sync in my browser window - I only waited for about 30 seconds. However, after logging out of gmail and immediately logging back in, it was there. So, if you're sitting there looking at the calendar in a browser and creating an event on another device, don't know what the time frame is for it to sync and appear in the browser and didn't really even look for a sync now button either.

edit:
I would guess a refresh of the page would cause it to show also. But, if it has synced between the tablet/phone and the computer, then it is in the cloud.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Except that this is not true. Syncing is turned on manually, unless the user agrees to have iCloud syncing turned on.
Yes, and syncing is turned on manually unless the user logins with their Google account (not mandatory) and chooses to sync content. Again, no difference.

Question: Do you own an iOS device? Cuz I can pull screenshots from the web just like you can.
20140223_153613000_iOS.jpg

I'm not really sure why you'd think that my really specific screenshots are ones pulled from the web. To answer your question though, I own two - that iPod touch and an iPad. Thus, I can easily verify things before I make claims. Again, do you own an Android device or do you just speculate?

C

chas_m

I think we are actually on the same page here, Van (I may not be phrasing myself very well). You seem to be saying that syncing is on by default if you sign into your Google account, which in my understanding of Android (more on that in a second) is more or less mandatory if you want to actually use your Android device (in the western world, China excluded).

Whereas on iOS devices, users are encouraged but NOT required to sign up for iCloud in order to get an Apple ID, so if they choose not to get or turn on iCloud, syncing is NOT on by default.

As to your question about owning an Android device -- no, I don't. I have reviewed quite a few for various publications, and liked some and disliked most. I don't like Android as much as iOS generally, but the closer you get to the "pure" Android experience, the better I tend to like it.

I'm sure I don't know as much about Android as you, as I tend to use it only for review purposes. I haven't gone to this year's Mobile World Congress, but that is where I have previously spent the bulk of my limited time with Android.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.