Unlocking/Jaibreaking an iPhone 4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
Hey guys,

My sister lives in the US and has given me her old iPhone 4. Problem is it is not yet out of its ATT contract and I cannot use it with my UK o2 sim. I've just started looking into my option for unlocking the phone and am wondering; If I get it jailbroken and something goes wrong, will Apple still swap it out for a refurbished phone for £119, as they have already offered to do (I took it in as the screen is also cracked).

Is a jail break and an "unlock" the same thing?

many thanks,
j

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, Jail Breaking and unlocking are not the same thing. Someone who is more familiar with carriers in the UK can probably answer your question about how to unlock it for your local use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Send it back to your sister and see if she can get it unlocked from AT&T. According to their own guidelines, they will unlock it once it is off-contract (it can't be still under contract for much longer now!).

How to Unlock an AT&T iPhone in 5 Easy Steps (If You’re Lucky) | TIME.com

Unlock your AT&T wireless phone or tablet- AT&T Wireless Support*

It's not necessary to actually send it back to her. She can just fill in the form herself using her account information and the IMEI number off the iPhone. Once AT&T has confirmed that it is unlocked, restore it in iTunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.