Upgrade hardware for Powermac G$

Reaction score
If anyone has info where I can get Processor, Ram and Optical Drive to upgrade my PowerMac G4 800 mhz (Not Intel). Would like to run 10.5 at least since 10.4 is becoming useless

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here is something VERY important to consider. An 800mhz Powermac G4 is worth about $25 dollars. A 1.8ghz dual processor Powermac G5 can be purchased for about $100.

A 1.8ghz dual processor Powermac G5 can do just about anything an 800mhz Powermac G4 can do (and more)...but do cpu focused tasks about 200%-300% faster...and perform video focused tasks much much faster.

Upgrading the ram, processor, and optical drive in a Powermac G4 will easily exceed $100...and in the end...an upgraded Powermac G4 will still be VERY inferior to a dual-cpu Powermac G5. And of course...a Powermac G5 has no problems running OS 10.5 "Leopard".:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Upgrade

Yeah. Makes a lot of sense. I guess I have an attachment to this old Mac, although I have several other PC's, this has been a very reliable machine. But, you're right. I'll do some shopping around.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yeah. Makes a lot of sense. I guess I have an attachment to this old Mac, although I have several other PC's, this has been a very reliable machine. But, you're right. I'll do some shopping around.

If you had some REALLY serious reasons for continuing to use your Powermac G4...such as:

- a large investment in hardware that ONLY works with a Powermac G4
- because you need to run a really old version of the Mac OS that a Powermac G5 cannot run
- need to run software that will not run on a Powermac G5

Then upgrading your Powermac G4 may make sense. But I don't think that you have any of these issues...since your goal seems to be to run OS 10.5. So I really think that spending more $$$ on your Powermac G4 would be much better spent on at least a Powermac G5 (if not an Intel Mac).:)

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.