Aperture vs. iphoto library manager

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, OS X 10.9.1
I have > 37,000 photos, and am adding constantly. This seems to have brought iphoto to its knees. It keeps re-dating half of my photos to 2041. At the Apple store they advised switching to aperture. Someone else suggested iphoto library manager. I am less concerned about the cost ($70 vs. $24) than saving time-I work 80-100 hours a week, and I do not have hours and hours to "make things work." I would greatly appreciate comments and suggestions. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Buy Aperture. If you malignly want it as a Photo Manager. I actually use Aperture as my image editor as well, and i love it. Its simple to navigate, and easy to set up. For you once open, goto File>Import>Library and select your iPhoto Library. Then sit back and let it do its magic.
With 37K of images it will take a while to do this, but if you have them set up on a Ext HDD, then remember in Aperture Preferences under General to point it to the Ext HDD. Do this by importing 1 image into Aperture, then drag the Aperture Library.aplibrary to where you want it on the Ext HDD (It will by default put it on your Mac HD) and then use the "Change" button to navigate to it, and then select it. Then when you go and Import the iPhoto Library, they will all go over to the Ext HDD where the Library now is.
Im guessing its on a Ext with 37K of images, but if its not, forget the above.

Then importing images into Aperture is easy enough, and if you have a iPhone, then your Photo Stream month by month is also available to you, as with the current one.
Once its all imported, DONT FORGET to Delete the iPhoto Library (after making sure ALL images were imported) then EMPTY Trash . . .

Aperture is well with the $ IMHO so don't worry about the iPhoto Manager, just fork out for Aperture and you will be fine. Its made for the Pro's and i know of people that have 100K Libraries, but it also allows you to make other Libraries as well.

Good luck and let us know what you decided on.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.