Retina 13" Wont Start

Reaction score
I had to open my Retina display. After removing the battery and fixing the track-pad i put it back together and now it wont turn on. What am i missing? How sensitive is the battery interposer is it possible i may have smushed the little it connectors?? How sensitive are the batteries? Could i have damaged them i didnt notice any damage. Is there a way to test the batteries? Please Help

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
We really have next to no idea what you did while you were in there…so it's really hard to say what happened. But it is pretty safe to say that the problem has nothing to do with the battery itself (they're not really that sensitive).

For starters…computers are very sensitive to static electricity…so that could have been a problem.

Secondly…the VERY first thing that should have been done once getting inside of the computer was to disconnect the battery (stray voltage from the battery can damage things if it is not disconnected right away).

Thirdly…maybe the problem is simply that something wasn't connected properly when putting it back together. There are also a lot of very fragile connectors & plugs on the logic board that can be damaged if someone isn't very careful.

Lastly. If someone is or isn't an experienced computer repair person…I would always recommend using the procedures from ifixit.com. I have taken apart a lot of Macintosh computers (laptops & desktops) and I always use these procedures (just in case)…so I don't make any disassembly or assembly mistakes.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Yea I followed ifixit for the most part problem with them is they dont do reassembly from what i see besides the obvious do it backwards. My house is pretty moist so the static is low but certainty possible although i didn't feel any but certainly it could have happened without me feeling it too. I am not a computer tech but i know my way around the insides of computers and iPhones. This is crazy. I really need my computer for school.

I did assume that if the battery was having issues the AC adapter would bypass it. I took the interposer out an flexed all the little tabs up so to ensure they were making contact and i put a little dielectric grease in too, so to ensure good contact. Nothing seems to happen I refuse to believe i burnt it out because i am pretty sure i took careful actions to do the job. I feel like it is a ground or something Are the little pins that push down when the back cover goes on grounds or switches of some sort? I feel like I need to do something like left right left right ab ab ab to get it running.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yea I followed ifixit for the most part problem with them is they dont do reassembly from what i see besides the obvious do it backwards.

Besides following a procedure like ifixit.com (so no steps are forgotten)…the only other thing is being very very careful. Since like I mentioned…there are some VERY fragile parts in there.

If reassembly is done exactly the same as disassembly…then everything should work (as long as nothing got broken in the reassembly or disassembly process).

Other than this…it's hard to say what happened…since we are not able to look over your shoulder as things are done.;)

If everything was put back together properly…then logically (since the computer is not working)…it can only be assumed that something got broken.:( The alternative is…something was not put back together properly. So need to open it back up & double check things.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.