Macbook Pro 17 Inch Mid 2009 A1297 Keyboard Screw Stuck - Removal Advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2008 Unibody, 8GB Ram, 10.6.8.
I need to replace a keyboard in a Macbook Pro 17 Inch Mid 2009. One of the tiny screws holding in the old keyboard is stuck and the screwdriver insert location is rounded off. Any idea how I can remove this screw?

These screws are the tiny ones that secure the actual keyboard to the aluminium keyboard recess, one of about 50. Too small to get needle nose pliers on.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Unfortunately with stripped screw heads like this...there are fewer extraction options than there would be with larger screws. Is this a phillips head screw or a torx?

If a phillips head...the only possibility I can offer is...place the correct size phillips head screwdriver into the stripped screw. Then with as much force as you dare...tap the top of the screwdriver with something to try an make some "dents" in the stripped screw head so that it will "bite".

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
JonnyAlpha
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2008 Unibody, 8GB Ram, 10.6.8.
Unfortunately with stripped screw heads like this...there are fewer extraction options than there would be with larger screws. Is this a phillips head screw or a torx?

If a phillips head...the only possibility I can offer is...place the correct size phillips head screwdriver into the stripped screw. Then with as much force as you dare...tap the top of the screwdriver with something to try an make some "dents" in the stripped screw head so that it will "bite".

Good luck,

- Nick

Nick - many thanks, I posted the problem on several forums and received this little beauty.... Macbook Pro 17 Inch Mid 2009 A1297 Keyboard Screw Stuck - Removal Advice - Tech Support Forum

I'm gonna give it a go.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick - many thanks, I posted the problem on several forums and received this little beauty....

That is a pretty interesting idea. Of course it depends on the screw...and where it's located. There are tight areas that the heat of a soldering iron & soldering may do more harm than good. But in an area with nothing delicate close by...could be something to try.

I might also add that I've some across some pretty tight screws...and the force needed to loosen the screw would be greater than the "bending strength" of the metal rod/conductor on a capacitor/transistor.

But again...any idea is a good idea to try (as long as nothing is nearby that the heat could damage).

If you give it a try...please post back how things went.:)

Thanks & good luck,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That is a pretty clever solution, however, it depends on how tight the stripped screw is fastened. If the head of the screw has become stripped, chances are it's in there real tight and soldering a resistor to use for loosening isn't going to work. The resistor will break off first. The extractor set recommend by cwa107 is probably your best bet if the solder trick fails.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have precision screw extractors that will work with screws this small.

Very nice! I knew screw extractors existed for larger screws...didn't realize they had them for the "teeny" screws in computers. I'm going to have to get a set of these at some point.:)

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Very nice! I knew screw extractors existed for larger screws...didn't realize they had them for the "teeny" screws in computers. I'm going to have to get a set of these at some point.:)

- Nick

Got them for Christmas - I've only had to use them once and they worked like magic on a #00 screw.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.