Clean install OSX on MBP without DVD

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my MBP (2009) to Mavericks. It has slowed down the machine so much that I would like to do a clean install and put on Mountain Lion again.

The problem is I dont have a working DVD player, which will make this harder.

I have watched various YouTube videos that show how to do a clean install from the repair disk, however, it doesnt tell you which OS will be re-installed. I would guess it would be Mavericks?

Can someone either confirm this or let me know how to do a clean install withOUT a DVD to an earlier version of Mac OSX?

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can someone either confirm this or let me know how to do a clean install withOUT a DVD to an earlier version of Mac OSX?

This is really not a problem. No Mac OS version has come on DVD since Snow Leopard (OS 10.6). OS 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9 have been primarily a downloaded OS from the Mac App Store. And the most common way to create a "backup" of an OS installer for 10.7, 10.8, 0r 10.9 (since there is no disk)...is to create a bootable USB drive.

So the solution is:

- Redownload Mountain Lion (OS 10.8) from the Mac App Store.
- Get a large enough USB stick (usually 4-8gig).
- Create a bootable OS 10.8 USB stick.

There are a bazillion websites which have written instructions on how to do this. Just search for "Mountain Lion bootable USB".

HTH,

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A 2009 - never done a clean install since the machine was new?

If you're going to do a clean install, you might as well put Mavericks back on it. The clean install - all by itself - is likely to take care of the slow downs you are experiencing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.